Petrobras Takes Bite of North Carnarvon Basin
Petrobras' wholly owned subsidiary Petrobras Internacional Braspetro acquired from MEO Australia a 50% participating interest in the exploratory Block WA-360-P, located in the Australian North Carnarvon Basin, for US $39 million.
Spanning 297 acres (1.2 square kilometers), the block lies in waters measuring 1,640 feet (500 meters) and is located near an area that houses several gas discoveries. The concession contract is in its fifth year of the exploratory period with 3D seismic already performed, indicating good potential for gas discoveries. Under the farm-in contract and subject to regulatory approval, Petrobras will fund 100% of the drilling expenses of the first well Artemis-1, limited to $41 million.
Drilling of the well is scheduled for the second half of 2010. If a discovery is made, Petrobras will also pay a bonus of $31.5 million to MEO and will carry MEO's participation (20%) of the cost to drill two additional wells, capped at $62 million per well. MEO remains as operator of the block, holding a 20% interest, and Cue Exploration Pty Ltd and Moby Oil and Gas Ltd. each hold 15%. Petrobras has the option to become operator once the first well is completed.SubseaIQ provides focused, in-depth coverage of offshore field development activities around the world, with daily updates on hundreds of offshore fields and facilities. Click here to sign up for the free weekly email newsletter.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: Moby Oil and Gas Limited more info
- Petrobras Takes Bite of North Carnarvon Basin (Apr 14)
- MEO Updates on WA-360-P Farm-In, Rig Search for Artemis-1 (Dec 21)
- MEO Australia Reports on WA-360-P Farm-In (Nov 16)
Company: MEO Australia Ltd more info
- MEO Australia Seeks Shareholder Approval to Rename Firm as Melbana Energy (Sep 28)
- MEO Australia: 4 Companies Interested in Beehive Farm-Out Deal (Sep 12)
- MEO Australia Provides Update on Projects in Australia, NZ & Cuba (Aug 15)