BP Awards 3 Drilling Deals for Iraq's Rumaila Field
(Dow Jones), Mar. 30, 2010
UK oil major BP, along with Iraq's state-run South Oil Co., has awarded three deals valued at least $500 million to drill 49 wells as part of the program to develop Iraq's largest producing oil field, Rumaila, a senior Iraqi oil official said Tuesday.
The winning companies are Weatherford International Ltd., Schlumberger Ltd. in partnership with the state-run Iraqi Drilling Co., and China's Daqing Oil Field Co. Ltd., the head of the Iraqi Oil Ministry's petroleum contacts and licensing directorate, Abdul Mahdy al-Ameedi, told Dow Jones Newswires.
Weatherford will drill seven wells while the other two companies will drill 21 wells each, on a turn-key basis, Ameedi said. Seven further wells would be awarded to the company that shows the most progress and most efficient working practices, he said.
BP and China National Petroleum Corp. -- that both signed with Baghdad a 20-year technical service contract in November to develop Rumaila -- are planning to increase production from the field by 160,000 barrels a day by the end of this year or early next year, Ameedi said.
The field, in southern Iraq, is currently producing 1.07 million barrels of oil a day.
The BP-led consortium has pledged to almost triple production at the field to 2.85 million barrels a day. Under the deal, BP holds a 38% stake in the venture, while CNPC has 37% and Iraq's South Oil Co. the remaining 25%. The three contractors will receive a fixed fee of $2 for each additional barrel of oil produced from Rumaila.
The Rumaila deal is one of 10 signed with international oil companies late last year and early this year in a bid to revamp the country's war-hit oil industry and quadruple the country's production of 2.5 million barrels a day.
Copyright (c) 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- African FLNG Might Disrupt Global Gas Trade (Mar 29)
- $200B+ Could Be Invested in US Petchems (Mar 28)
- BP Expands Program to Lure Mid-Career Talent (Mar 28)
Company: Weatherford International more info
- Weatherford Sells Data Logging Business to Pay Debt (Dec 17)
- ADES Buys 11 Drilling Rigs from Weatherford (Dec 03)
- Weatherford Sells Laboratory Business for $205MM (Oct 24)
Company: Schlumberger more info
- Schlumberger Looks Overseas for Offshore, Exploration Growth (Apr 18)
- Schlumberger and Halliburton's Fortunes May Be Improving (Apr 17)
- Schlumberger May Choose Current COO as Next CEO (Apr 16)
Company: CNPC more info
- CNPC Plans Internal Consolidation To Fast-Track Gas Storage Upgrade (Jun 01)
- Total at Risk of Losing Gas Field Stake to CNPC If It Quits Iran (May 07)
- China's CNPC Sells First Gasoline To Americas As Fuel Stocks Hit Record (Apr 03)
Company: South Oil Co. more info
- Officials: Occidental to Sell Zubair Stake to Iraq's South Oil (Nov 11)
- Shell Exports 1st Oil from Majnoon Field in Iraq (Apr 08)
- Eni, Iraq Amend Zubair Oil Target (Jul 15)