India Approves Award of 33 Oil and Gas Blocks
NEW DELHI (Dow Jones), Mar. 19, 2010
The Indian government Friday approved the award of 33 oil and gas blocks for exploration, nearly six months after the blocks were auctioned under a federal policy that aims to increase the country's fuel production and reduce dependence on imports.
The 33 blocks are part of the 36 bid in the eighth round of auction under the New Exploration Licensing Policy, or NELP, in October 2009, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said in a media briefing about the decisions of the federal cabinet and a cabinet panel.
India had launched the NELP in 1999, offering exploration blocks through competitive bidding to state-run and private-sector companies. The South Asian nation imports more than three-fourths of its crude oil needs and has been trying to increase local output, but the NELP has largely failed to attract global energy giants and most blocks have been awarded to local companies.
In the eight round of auction, India offered 70 blocks and received 76 bids for only 36 blocks. State-run Oil and Natural Gas Corp. and its partners have been awarded 17 of the 33 blocks.
Of the eight bids received for 24 deepwater blocks on offer, ONGC and partners won seven and Cairn Energy PLC of the U.K. got one.
Of the 13 bids for 28 shallow water blocks on offer, ONGC got five as lead partner and one with Oil India Ltd as an operator. BHP Billiton Petroleum won three and Cairn Energy bagged one block.
ONGC also won four onland blocks. India had auctioned a total 18 onland blocks and received bids for 15 blocks.
The government approval paves the way for the oil companies to firm up their exploration plans for the awarded blocks, enter into production sharing contracts with the federal oil ministry and seek further statutory clearances.
Copyright (c) 2010 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- BHP Sees Faster Shale Sale in Race to Exit $10 Billion Unit (Feb 20)
- Private Oil Made a Big Find in Mexico. Now State Oil Wants a Cut (Oct 04)
- BHP Gearing Up to Start Drilling for Oil in Mexico's Deep Waters (Oct 02)
Company: Cairn Energy more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: ONGC more info
Operates 42 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- ONGC Is Said to Plan $4.8 Billion Indian Oil, GAIL Stake Sale (Feb 07)
- India's ONGC Raises $2.38B From Banks To Buy Refinery Stake (Jan 23)
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
Company: Oil India more info
- India, Iran Plan to Seal Deal to Develop Offshore Farzad B Field by October (Jun 06)
- India Launches Auction for 67 Small Oil, Gas Fields Under a New Bid Scheme (May 26)
- ONGC Plans to Drill 17 Exploration Wells in India's Shale Oil, Gas Blocks (Apr 26)