Salamander Snags Stake in Underexplored Vietnam Basin
Salamander Energy has agreed to acquire a 50% interest in and operatorship of Block 101-100/04 from Santos Vietnam Pty Ltd and Singapore Petroleum Vietnam Song Hong Co Ltd.
Block 101-100/04 is located in the Hanoi Trough, offshore Northern Vietnam, a basin which is at the early stages of exploration. The acquisition is subject to Vietnamese government and regulatory approval.
- Operated position in the Hanoi Trough -- a new basin entry in Vietnam, a key region for Salamander
- Cat Ba oil prospect to be drilled in 2011
- Over 500 sq.km of existing 3D seismic
- Follow on drilling potential with at least three further prospects identified on the block to date
- As part of the farm-in agreement Salamander has offered the Block 101-100/04 field partners a Call option to retain their 50% interest on completion of the Cat Ba well
James Menzies, Chief Executive of Salamander, said, "The Hanoi Trough is a proven but underexplored basin offshore Northern Vietnam, part of a play system that extends east to the Beibu Wan fields. This deal introduces Salamander to a new play and broadens our prospect inventory and medium term drilling options."
- Sona Petroleum Scraps Plans to Buy Stake in Salamander's Thai Assetss (Jan 14)
- Sona Clings on to Fading Hopes of Acquiring Thai Assets from Salamander (Nov 26)
- Salamander Backs Ophir Takeover Offer (Nov 24)