Petrobras IDs Oil in Offshore BM-S-9 Area
Petrobras, in response to written notice received from Securities and Exchange Commission of Brazil, wishes to clarify the news published in the Brazilian Press, titled "Petrobras declares a new discovery in the Santos Basin pre-salt layer." The Company confirms that it notified the ANP (National Agency for Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels) about the presence of hydrocarbons in the well 1-BRSA-594-SPS, located in the northern part of the BM-S-9 area, developed under the Guará Evaluation Plan.
The Company further clarifies that the concession contracts executed with ANP requires that the Agency must be informed by the operator about any evidence of the presence of oil, natural gas or other hydrocarbons within the concession area. This requirement is
mandatory to all the companies which operate in Brazil.
In this context, the consortium formed by Petrobras (45% - Operator), BG (30%) and Repsol (25%) notified the ANP, on March 9th, about the presence of hydrocarbons during the drilling activity in the aforementioned area.
This notification merely represents a standard procedure required by the Agency and does not represents a declaration of discovery nor any material fact, having no impact in Petrobras' stocks trade, considering the imprecision of the results which are still pending to be achieved.
Although the information represents a positive sign by itself, it is not conclusive. The West Polaris drilling rig will continue the activities in the well to gather more data and evidence. The information could become relevant in the light of new studies and data gathered during
the testing and, if that be the case, will be announced to the market and to the regulatory agencies.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon, Total, Repsol Among Bidders For Oil Exploration Off Greece (Mar 05)
- Oil's Heavy Hitters Line Up to Dive Into Mexico's Deep Waters (Jan 26)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill Postpones Court Hearing For Restructuring Talks (Jan 25)
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)
Company: ANP more info
- Brazil Regulator Approves Bidders For Oil Auction In March (Feb 21)
- Brazil Regulator Allows Petrobras To Source Libra Rig Hull From Abroad (Oct 04)
- Brazil's Prized Santos Basin Receives Single Bid In Oil Auction (Sep 27)