Dhirubhai Deepwater KG2 Spins Bit Offshore India
Transocean's newbuild ultra-deepwater drillship Dhirubhai Deepwater KG2, which is owned by a joint venture with Pacific Drilling Limited, has commenced operations for Reliance Industries in India under a five-year drilling contract.
The dynamically positioned Dhirubhai Deepwater KG2, one of 24 Ultra-Deepwater Floaters in the Transocean fleet, includes the most advanced drilling capabilities in the offshore drilling industry. The vessel features National Oilwell Varco drilling packages, significant off-line tubular-handling and stand-building capabilities, advanced mud system designs, systems for building, storing and running several subsea trees and efficient riser and BOP (blowout preventer) handling systems. The drillship has a variable deckload of approximately 20,000 metric tons and is equipped to work in water depths of up to 12,000 feet and outfitted to construct wells up to 35,000 feet deep.
In addition to the Dhirubhai Deepwater KG2 and five newbuild units placed into service last year, Transocean has four newbuild Ultra-Deepwater Floaters in various stages of construction or preparation for initial contracts which are scheduled to commence operations in 2010 and 2011. Those four units are the Discoverer Inspiration, the Discoverer India, the Discoverer Luanda (the latter owned by a joint venture company with Angco Cayman Limited) and the Deepwater Champion.
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Reliance Industries more info
- India's Reliance Declares 30pct Higher Refinery Capacity at Export Plant (Jan 17)
- OPEC's Output Curbs Squeeze World's Biggest Oil Refining Complex (Oct 16)
- India's Reliance Industries 2Q Profit Up 7%, Lags Estimates (Oct 13)
Company: Pacific Drilling Limited more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- At $500 Million A Pop, It's An Oil Gamble That Has No Precedent (Sep 20)
- Pacific Drilling Cancels Contract with SHI to Build Pacific Zonda Drillship (Oct 30)
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Rig Worker Dies in Accident (Oct 21)