Jurong Shipyard to Deliver West Orion in 2Q 2010
West Orion, the third from the series of four turnkey ultra-deepwater semi-submersible drilling rigs built by Sembcorp Marine's subsidiary Jurong Shipyard for Seadrill Limited, is on track for delivery in early second quarter of 2010 following its official naming.
The rig was christened "West Orion" by Lady Sponsor Mrs Ingfrid Gjengedal, the wife of Mr Alf Ragnar Lovdal, Senior Vice President of Seadrill’s Tender Rig Division, during a ceremony on February 27, 2010 in the presence of key representatives from Seadrill and Jurong Shipyard.
West Orion echoes the success of sister rigs West Sirius and West Taurus which were delivered by Jurong Shipyard in 2008. The yard demonstrated its strong turnkey expertise in semi-submersible construction by being the first to deliver on-time a total turnkey semi-submersible rig, the West Sirius, to Seadrill in March 2008. The next turnkey semi-submersible rig, the West Taurus, was delivered one week ahead of schedule in November 2008.
West Orion is one of twelve Friede and Goldman (F&G) ExD Class semi-submersible ultra-deepwater drilling units built by Jurong Shipyard. Six of these F&G semisubmersible units had been successfully delivered by the yard. The dynamic-positioning semi-submersible is engineered for deep drilling capabilities of up to 37,500 feet in dynamic positioning mode in ultra-deepwaters of up to 10,000 feet.
Upon delivery, West Orion will commence a six-year contract with Petrobras for development drilling operations offshore Brazil. West Taurus, the second rig delivered to Seadrill by Jurong Shipyard, is also on a six-year charter with Petrobras.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
Manages 6 Offshore Rigs
- Petrobras To Invest 137 Million Reais Iin Sao Paulo Refinery (Mar 08)
- Petrobras Chief Says US Refinery Sale Ongoing, No Plans To Build Elsewhere (Mar 05)
- Petrobras to Sell Pasadena, Texas, Refinery (Feb 06)
Company: Sembcorp Marine more info
- Rig Builder Sembcorp Marine 2Q Net Profit Falls 51% (Jul 27)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Brazilian Government Plans to Open Talks with Keppel, Sembcorp Marine (Sep 05)
Company: Jurong Shipyard more info
- NADL, Jurong Shipyard Extend Standstill Agreement for West Rigel (Jun 08)
- Maersk Drilling Acquires Newbuild Jackup from Hercules Offshore for $190M (May 27)
- Sembcorp Marine Dismisses EIG's Allegations on Sete Brasil Investment (May 25)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill Postpones Court Hearing For Restructuring Talks (Jan 25)
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)