Centrica Gets Green Light to Drill in Norwegian Sea
Centrica has received consent to conduct exploration drilling in the Norwegian Sea with the West Alpha semisub. Well 6506/9-2 S is located 252 km west of Brønnøysund and is part of production license 433. The water depth at the site is 281 meters.
Start-up of drilling is planned in February 2010. The expected duration of the activity is 78 days.
In connection with the PSA's processing of this application, an audit of Centrica's planning and execution of the drilling operation was carried out on January 19.
Based on the responsibility that rests with the license group, we have also obtained this group's overall assessment of risk factors related to this activity, and to the operator's resources for managing the activity.
PSA has also participated as observers in two emergency preparedness exercises with the operator. The report subsequent to the audit revealed nonconformities in relation to requirements for managing the activities and emergency preparedness aspects, and also pointed out a potential for improvement as regards Centrica's organization.
Centrica has evaluated the above-mentioned factors, and has identified a number of compensating measures. A precondition for the consent is therefore that these measures, summarized in a binding plan with dates, are implemented as described.
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Drilling of Well at Fogelberg Gas Discovery to Start in Feb/March -Centrica (Sep 01)
- Centrica Merges Oil Business with Bayerngas to Tap Younger Fields (Jul 17)
Company: Petroleum Safety Authority Norway more info
- Watchdog: Cost Cuts Appear To Harm Norway Oil Industry Safety (Feb 20)
- Norway To Investigate Oil Industry Safety After Accidents Rise (Nov 29)
- PSA Asks Statoil Whether Recent Incidents Related To Cost Cutting (Oct 26)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Seadrill Postpones Court Hearing For Restructuring Talks (Jan 25)
- Norway's Seadrill Gets Two Rival Debt Restructuring Proposals (Oct 23)
- Seadrill's Debt Overhaul Faces Creditor Scrutiny (Oct 02)