Rockhopper Secures Rig for Sea Lion, Ernest Prospects
Rockhopper has been formally assigned two slots with the Ocean Guardian drilling rig to drill the Sea Lion and Ernest prospects during its forthcoming drilling campaign in the Falklands. This assignment is pursuant to a rig contract between Desire Petroleum PLC and Diamond Offshore Drilling (UK) Limited and an assignment document between Desire, Diamond and Rockhopper dated November 12, 2009.
The Ocean Guardian is due to arrive in the Falklands in February 2010. The first well to be drilled by the rig, due to spud in mid February 2010, will be Liz (Rockhopper: 7.5 percent interest), located on the western margin of the North Falkland Basin and operated by Desire (92.5 percent interest).
The second well to be drilled by the Ocean Guardian upon its release from Liz will be Sea Lion (Rockhopper: 100 percent owned and operated). The prospect is located on the eastern basin margin of the North Falkland Basin and is in close proximity to the Shell well 14/10-1, which recovered live oil.
Rockhopper will then be assigned either the third or fourth slot to drill the Ernest well. Ernest is located in license PL024 and has a positive CSEM (Controlled Source Electromagnetic Anomaly).
The Ocean Guardian departed the Cromarty Firth in Scotland on Thursday, November 26 en route to Liz, in the North Falkland Basin.
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Desire Petroleum more info
- Falkland Explorers Join Forces Ahead of New Drilling Round (Oct 03)
- Desire Granted Extension for Falkland License (Oct 31)
- Premier Oil Farms Into Rockhopper's Falklands Licenses (Jul 12)
Company: Rockhopper Exploration more info
- ERCE: Sea Lion Complex Could Hold 1.7B Barrels of Oil (May 17)
- Beach Energy Updates on Sale of its Egyptian Subsidiary to Rockhopper (Apr 18)
- Subsea 7, National Oilwell Varco Secure Sea Lion FEED Contracts (Feb 11)