Anadarko's Lucius Shines as Major GOM Find
Drilled by the ENSCO 8500 semisub, the Lucius sidetrack appraisal well, located in Keathley Canyon block 875 in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, encountered almost 600 net feet of high-quality oil pay with additional gas-condensate pay in thick subsalt Pliocene and Miocene sands.
"The successful Lucius appraisal well confirms this is a major discovery with substantial resource potential," said Bob Daniels, Anadarko Sr. Vice President, Worldwide Exploration. "We were very encouraged by what we saw in the discovery well, and the results from this appraisal further heighten our enthusiasm. The reservoirs are characterized by excellent porosity and permeability and contain high-quality oil. We anticipate additional appraisal activity in 2010 as we continue to evaluate development options for this very large accumulation."
The Lucius appraisal well was drilled as an up-dip sidetrack, approximately 3,200 feet due south of the discovery well. It was drilled to a total depth of approximately 20,600 feet in approximately 7,100 feet of water. The Lucius discovery well, announced last month, was drilled to a total depth of about 20,000 feet and encountered more than 200 net feet of pay.
Anadarko operates the Lucius well with a 50-percent working interest. Co-owners in the discovery include Plains Exploration & Production Company with a 33.33-percent working interest and Mariner Energy, Inc. with 16.67-percent working interest.
Once operations are complete at the Lucius appraisal well, Anadarko plans to move the rig to drill an appraisal of Anadarko's subsalt Miocene Heidelberg discovery in the Green Canyon area of the Gulf of Mexico, which was announced in early 2009. Anadarko operates Heidelberg with a 44.25-percent working interest.
Manages 64 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
Company: Mariner Energy more info
- BOEMRE Deems Heater-Treater Cause of Vermilion Fire (May 25)
- Apache Releases Earnings Consideration Elections (Nov 15)
- Apache Finalizes $800MM Merger with Mariner (Nov 10)
Company: Plains Exploration & Production more info
- Noble, PXP Shake Hands on UDW Drillships for Gulf of Mexico (Apr 18)
- BP Sells Non-Strategic GOM Assets for $5.5B (Sep 10)
- PXP Posts Early Tender Offer Results for Senior Notes (Dec 01)