Shell, Hess Swap Stakes in North Sea and West Africa
In a move to consolidate its exploration and production portfolio in the North Sea and West Africa, Shell has agreed to acquire Hess Corporation's entire upstream portfolio in Gabon and its interest in the Clair field, which lies in British waters west of the Shetland Islands. In return, Hess would acquire Shell's interest in a pair of Norwegian offshore fields, Valhall and Hod. This transaction is a strategic trade and no cash payment is involved.
"We are very pleased to increase our equity stake in Gabon -- a country in which we have operated with great success for nearly 50 years," said Malcolm Brinded, Executive Director of Shell's Upstream International business. "At the same time, by increasing our interest in the Clair field, we are also demonstrating our continued interest in investing in long-term assets of the UK -- one of our heartlands."
The swap, which is still subject to government approval and other requisite consents, would rearrange the companies' ownership interests in Gabon, the UK and Norway. Shell's interest in its Gabonese production licenses would increase from 42.5% to 52.5% in Rabi-Kounga, from 44.3% to 94.3% in Toucan and from 20% to 60% in Atora. Its interest in the Ozigo exploration license would increase from 44.3% to 94.3%. Also, as part of the transaction, Shell's stake in the Clair field of the UK would increase from 18.7% to 28%.
Hess, in turn, would take over Shell's interests in the Valhall and Hod fields. As a result, Hess' stake in those fields would double -- to 56.2% and 50%, respectively. BP is the operator of Clair as well as of Valhall and Hod.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Shell more info
Operates 30 Offshore Rigs
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
- API Panel Member: Voluntary Methane Program Forthcoming (Oct 06)
- Eni Bets Big on Zohr Explorer Finding New Treasure (Oct 06)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
Operates 4 Offshore Rigs
- Hess Cutting Hundreds of Workers As It Battles Activist Investor (Jan 16)
- ExxonMobil Reports More Offshore Guyana Success (Jan 05)
- About 75,000 Bpd Of Gulf Oil Output Still Shut After Shell Fire (Nov 15)