Chubu Electric Signs on for Chevron's Gorgon LNG
Chevron's Australian subsidiaries have signed binding long-term Sales and Purchase Agreements (SPAs) with Chubu Electric Power for a portion of Chevron's share of liquefied natural gas (LNG) from the Gorgon Project.
Chevron agreed to supply Chubu Electric 1.44 million metric tons per year (MTPY) of LNG for 25 years. Also, Chubu Electric intends to purchase 0.417 percent equity from Chevron's stake in the Gorgon Project.
"We are pleased to build on our long-term relationship with Chubu Electric and welcome them as a foundation customer and equity participant in the Gorgon Project," said Jim Blackwell, president, Chevron Asia Pacific Exploration and Production Company. "The SPA with Chubu Electric continues to build momentum toward commercializing our equity natural gas in the project."
The agreement follows the recent signing of three binding long-term SPAs with Osaka Gas, Tokyo Gas and GS Caltex, a 50 percent-owned Chevron equity affiliate, for delivery of a total of nearly 3 MTPY, as well as a Heads of Agreement with the Korea Gas Corporation (KOGAS) for 1.5 MTPY.
"The foundation customers in Gorgon are leading energy companies in the world's largest LNG markets. Our agreements position Chevron to deliver supplies to meet long-term demand in the growing Asia-Pacific region," said John Gass, president, Chevron Global Gas.
The Gorgon Project is operated by Chevron, which will have an approximate 47 percent interest in the project after the sale to Chubu.
The initial Gorgon Project development, in northwestern Australia, will include a three-train, 15 million-metric-tons-per-year liquefied natural gas facility and a domestic gas plant.
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: Chubu Electric Power Co. more info
- Chevron Sees Australia's Gorgon Project Train 1 Restarting in 30-60 Days (Apr 06)
- Chevron Ships First Gorgon LNG Cargo to Japan's Chubu Electric Power (Mar 21)
- Japan's Chubu, Mitsui in Energy Tie-ups With India Firms (Jan 24)