Eni, Gazprom Celebrate 40-Year Energy Alliance
On December 11, Eni and Gazprom celebrated the 40th anniversary of their co-operation, which dates back to the first contract between the former Soviet Union and Italy for the supply of natural gas signed in December 1969.
The relationship between Eni and Gazprom over the last 40 years has been characterized by mutual trust and several successful industrial achievements, including the construction of the Blue Stream gas pipeline which connects Russia to Turkey. This long standing relationship culminated in the broad strategic alliance signed in Moscow in November 2006.
This historic agreement sees Eni and Gazprom jointly committed to the realization of projects across the entire gas value chain and has allowed Eni to enter the Russian upstream sector through the SeverEnergia joint venture, the first Italian-Russian E&P company.
The strength of the relationship between Eni and Gazprom significantly contributes to guaranteeing the security of gas supply to Europe and Italy. In light of this, the two companies are currently studying a new large project, the South Stream, which will bring gas from Russia through the Black Sea.
The South Stream project represents the latest collaborative step, in accordance with the strategy of relationships launched in the 50s by Enrico Mattei, who initially signed the first oil contract with the Soviet Union in 1958.
Through the development and strengthening of the strategic alliance with Gazprom, the first class producer of gas, Eni intends to consolidate its leadership in the European gas market.
- Ukraine And Russia Both Claim Victory In Gas Dispute (Dec 22)
- Gazprom to Splurge on EU Gas Pipe as US Weighs Penalties (Dec 19)
- Court Rejects PGniG's Attempt To Limit Gazprom's Use Of Opal Pipeline (Oct 13)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- BSEE: Italy's Eni Begins Drilling Oil Well In Alaska's Beaufort Sea (Dec 27)
- Eni 'Mission Impossible' Points to Seismic Shift for Big Oil (Dec 22)
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)