Karoon, ConocoPhillips Confident on Poseidon-2 Well
SYDNEY (Dow Jones), Dec. 10, 2009
Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. is confident that the latest well in its drilling campaign with joint venture partner ConocoPhillips in the Browse Basin, Poseidon-2, will be a success, a person familiar with the matter said Thursday.
The comments could substantially boost Karoon's shares when they start trading Friday after they were sold off late Thursday when the company released a statement that said Poseidon-2 had passed its planned depth, but the statement didn't mention any gas pay.
"What they're seeing is the same sort of structure as what they saw with Poseidon-1," the person said. "They're feeling confident about it, but couldn't say anything in detail until higher resolution testing had been completed."
Initial results from the Poseidon-1 exploration well released earlier this year indicated that it had struck a 200-meter gas column. The news put a rocket under Karoon's shares.
Some of the sheen was taken off later this year when the joint venture's second exploration well, Kontiki-1, was unsuccessful, so the market is eagerly awaiting the results of Poseidon-2.
The person pointed to Karoon's announcement yesterday that ConocoPhillips has taken an extra 9% stake in two of the venture's Browse Basin permits offshore Western Australia state as an indication that the U.S. oil major is pleased with the venture's progress.
Analysts have said that Karoon and ConocoPhillips could be sitting on one of Australia's biggest gas resources, noting the proximity of its Poseidon discovery to other major finds like Inpex Holdings Inc.'s Ichthys field.
Karoon Chief Executive Robert Hosking has said it's possible the discovery will rival Woodside Petroleum Ltd.'s initial North West Shelf discovery, which feeds Australia's biggest LNG export terminal.
Two more exploration wells, Lion-1 and Kronos-1, will follow Poseidon-2 and the venture has an option to drill a further four wells.
The Poseidon-2 well is being drilled by the Transocean Legend semisubmersible drilling rig.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- ConocoPhillips Strikes First Oil at New Alaska Site (Oct 10)
- ConocoPhillips to Divest Timor Sea Acreage (Oct 01)
- KBR, ConocoPhillips to Develop Off-the-Shelf LNG Tech (Sep 18)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Transocean Wins Multi-well NCS Contract for New Semisub (Sep 21)
- Driller Transocean Eyes Improved Lease Rates, Activity In 2019 (Sep 05)
Company: Karoon Gas Australia Ltd. more info
- Karoon Buys PEPC's 35% Stake in 4 Santos Basin Blocks in Brazil for $20.5M (Sep 28)
- PEPC Makes Overdue Payment to Karoon for Brazil's Santos Basin Blocks (Jun 16)
- Karoon Issues Default Notice to Santos Basin Block Partner PEPC (Jun 15)