Anadarko Hits Paydirt at Lucius in Ultra-Deepwater GOM
Anadarko has announced a discovery at the Lucius exploration well in Keathley Canyon block 875. The well encountered more than 200 feet of net pay in subsalt Pliocene and Miocene sands.
"The Lucius discovery continues to demonstrate the tremendous value of our Gulf of Mexico portfolio," said Bob Daniels, Anadarko Sr. Vice President, Worldwide Exploration. "Lucius is a three-way structure against salt, and the results of the well indicate thick reservoir sands with very good porosity and permeability. We are continuing to gather data to evaluate the fluids from the well. These initial results are very encouraging, so we plan to immediately drill an up-dip sidetrack appraisal well to delineate the reservoir's areal extent. Additionally, the proximity and availability of our Red Hawk cell spar enhances our potential development options and offers the opportunity to accelerate the production of these resources."
The Lucius discovery was drilled to a total depth of about 20,000 feet in approximately 7,100 feet of water, using the new ultra-deepwater Ensco 8500 semisubmersible drilling rig. The up-dip sidetrack appraisal well will be drilled on the same block, approximately 3,200 feet due south of the discovery.
Anadarko operates the Lucius well with a 50-percent working interest. Co-owners in the discovery include Plains Exploration & Production Company with a 33.33-percent working interest and Mariner Energy, Inc. with 16.67-percent working interest.
Manages 64 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: Anadarko Petroleum more info
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
- 4 Ways Agile Sourcing Can Lead Enterprises to Success (Nov 10)
- Gadfly: Anadarko Woke Up, and It Really Smells the Coffee (Nov 01)
Company: Mariner Energy more info
- BOEMRE Deems Heater-Treater Cause of Vermilion Fire (May 25)
- Apache Releases Earnings Consideration Elections (Nov 15)
- Apache Finalizes $800MM Merger with Mariner (Nov 10)
Company: Plains Exploration & Production more info
- Noble, PXP Shake Hands on UDW Drillships for Gulf of Mexico (Apr 18)
- BP Sells Non-Strategic GOM Assets for $5.5B (Sep 10)
- PXP Posts Early Tender Offer Results for Senior Notes (Dec 01)