Woodside Unlocks Additional Gas Pay at Greater Pluto Area
During an investor briefing yesterday, Woodside Petroleum Ltd. confirmed that the company has made an additional gas discovery in the Greater Pluto Area offshore Western Australia at the Eris-1 well.
Potentially boosting reserves to the Pluto liquefied natural gas project, the Eris-1 well was drilled by Songa Offshore's Songa Mercur semisubmersible drilling rig, which struck 60 meters of gas in well-developed sands.
The Eris discovery well is one of 20 exploration wells Woodside is targeting to expand the Greater Pluto Area and could potentially be developed for the first LNG train under construction.
Additionally, Woodside noted that another recently completed well, Pelion-1, was water wet. The Pelion-1 exploration well was also drilled using the Songa Mercur semisub. Woodside has already secured Transocean's Jack Bates semisub, rather than the previously-advised Atwood Eagle, to drill the Noblige-1 exploratory well, the company confirmed.
Australia's second largest oil and gas company, Woodside has forecast that its full year oil and gas production for 2010 will fall between 70 million and 75 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe), with output guidance anticipated between 81 million to 86 million boe.
- Offshore Australia Contract Goes to KBR (Oct 11)
- Pipe Dream? Chevron, Woodside Vie to Shape Australia's LNG Sector (Jun 15)
- Chevron Unveils Shared Vision for North West Shelf Infrastructure Stimulus (May 16)
Company: Atwood Oceanics more info
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Atwood Oceanics Offshore Employees in Australia Agree to New EBA (Aug 23)
- Transocean, Atwood Oceanics Lay Off 200 Offshore Workers in Texas (Feb 06)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Transocean Wins Multi-well NCS Contract for New Semisub (Sep 21)
- Driller Transocean Eyes Improved Lease Rates, Activity In 2019 (Sep 05)
Company: Songa Offshore ASA more info
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Songa Offshore to Cut 430 Jobs Due to Ongoing Norway Oil, Gas Strikes (Sep 30)
- Songa Encourage Rig Commences 8-Year Statoil Drilling Contract (Apr 12)