NZOG Builds Up Strong In-House Exploration Team
Wellington-based explorer New Zealand Oil & Gas, which expects to spend at least $30 million in offshore drilling over the summer, has built up a strong in-house exploration team, chief executive David Salisbury told the company's annual meeting.
Salisbury said that NZOG now carries out its own independent evaluations of every potential new project and its own assessments of the company's existing assets like Tui and Kupe fields and exploration blocks.
He said the core of the company was its geologists, geophysicists and engineers who between them they have over 200 years of worldwide industry experience.
A recent addition to this team was the appointment of experienced local petroleum industry explorer Mac Beggs as NZOG's permanent exploration manager. Dr. Beggs was head of consulting company Geosphere Ltd and before that hydrocarbons group manager for GNS Science.
Dr. Beggs had been acting exploration manager since May after then exploration manager Jonathan Salo took a new position as chief geologist.
Salisbury said that NZOG over the past year has developed a significant capability to screen and rank new opportunities.
"As a result, we capture and retain knowledge in-house so we are constantly building more effective and efficient capabilities," he said.
The technical team is also actively assessing further opportunities. Over the past year the company's exploration portfolio has been significantly expanded. NZOG now participates in eight permits, with at least four wells to be drilled over summer.
The first well will be Albacore-1 to begin drilling shortly using the ENSCO-107 jackup rig in the Westech-operated PEP 38491 in offshore north Taranaki. NZOG has a 40% stake in the prospect.
Early next year NZOG will participate in the AWE operated Hoki-1 well to be drilled by the semi submersible rig Kan Tan IV. The rig will then move to the Tui field, where NZOG is a partner, to drill two appraisal wells.
- Ensco and Rowan to Merge in $12B Deal (Oct 08)
- Three Drilling Contractors Advance in Rigzone Employer Survey (May 24)
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
Company: Maersk Drilling more info
- Maersk Drilling to Sell Jackup (Nov 12)
- CEO: Maersk Drilling Strong Enough To Stand On Its Own After Listing (Aug 28)
- Maersk Drilling Lays Off Dozens in GOM (Jan 23)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)