CNOOC May Become Operator of Beibu Gulf Oil Fields
SYDNEY (Dow Jones), Nov. 24, 2009
Roc Oil said Tuesday that talks with China National Offshore Oil Corp. over the development of two oil fields offshore southern China could lead to the Chinese taking over as operator.
"Roc is discussing all aspects of sharing and cooperation which would benefit the project and joint-venture partners, including Cnooc," a Roc spokesman said. "These discussions could result in Cnooc operating at some point in the future on behalf of the joint venture, but until the negotiations are concluded, Roc remains operator and retains the option to operate the completed development."
Sydney-based Roc has a 40% stake in block 22/12 in the Beibu Gulf, northwest of Hainan province. The block contains the Wei 6-12 and Wei 12-8 fields, with contingent resources estimated at 26.5 million barrels of oil equivalent.
Other shareholders in the block are Horizon Oil Ltd. with 30%, Petsec Energy Ltd. with 25% and closely held Majuko Corp. with 5%. Under the terms of the production-sharing contract, Cnooc's Hong Kong-listed unit Cnooc Ltd. has the right to back into the development with a 51% stake.
Project partners expect to make a final investment decision on the development of the oil fields before the end of June next year, with first oil targeted in the first half of 2012.
The first phase of the development, which will see oil moved by pipeline to existing facilities owned by Cnooc nearby, is forecast to cost US $300 million.
"Due to the nature of the current development concept for the Beibu Gulf oil field, there will be a need to share existing Cnooc-operated production facilities once the development is completed," the spokesman said.
"There are also potential benefits from sharing equipment, such as installation equipment and drill rigs, during the development phase."
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Santos Names Roc Oil CEO Anthony Neilson as CFO to Replace Andrew Seaton (Sep 19)
- SapuraKencana Clinches $72M of Work in Malaysia, India & Cote d'Ivoire (Dec 08)
- Faroe Completes Roc Oil Acquisition (Nov 06)
Company: CNOOC more info
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Uganda's National Oil Firm, China's CNOOC Sign Exploration Deal (Sep 06)
- Hammerhead-1 Strikes Offshore Guyana (Aug 30)
Company: Petsec Energy more info
- Petsec Energy Reports Higher Reserves at An Nagyah Oilfield in Yemen (Mar 15)
- Petsec Energy Acquires 100% Stake in Damis Production License (Feb 05)
- Petsec Energy Completes Acquisition of 29.75% Stake in Yemen's Block 7 (Oct 01)
Company: Horizon Oil more info
- Drilling Commences at WZ 12-8W-A6P1 Appraisal Well in China's Beibu Gulf (Nov 17)
- Ensco 107 Prepares to Demobilize from Maari Field Offshore New Zealand (Jul 07)
- OMV Successfully Completes Maari Redevelopment Project Off New Zealand (Jul 02)