Santos, Drillsearch Find 'Significant Pay' at Tintaburra Block
Drillsearch Energy confirmed that the Santos-operated Ipundu North-13 (IN-13) development well has encountered significant pay and will be cased and suspended as a future oil producer in the Murta and Birkhead Formations.
The Tintaburra Block is a joint venture of Santos Ltd (89%) and DLS (11%) and is the company's largest production joint venture.
IN-13 encountered up to 1.5 meters of oil pay in the Murta sandstones and approximately 7 meters of oil pay in the middle and basal intervals of the Birkhead Formation based on preliminary interpretation. In the middle Birkhead interval IN-13 encountered a 7 meter well developed sand package not developed in offset wells and log analysis showing a 5 meters oil pay zone. IN-13 also encountered 2 meters of oil pay in a 5 meter sand package in the basal Birkhead interval similar to the producing sands in the IN-12 production well. Oil was recovered from a FMT sample in this zone.
IN-13 is the second development well in the drilling campaign and the primary target of the well was by-passed attic oil in the Murta sandstone in an up dip section of the Ipundu North Oil Field. The IN-13 well also included an exploration component targeting the deeper Birkhead Formation. IN-13 targeted recoverable oil of up to 300,000 bbls (P10) in the Murta Formation and the Wyandra sandstones which did not include the exploration potential in the Birkhead Formation.
Santos as operator plans to test the Birkhead Formation pay zones behind casing as part of the initial completion strategy. The company will provide further updates on this testing and the recoverable oil estimates as these become available from the operator.
- Australia's Santos Profit Soars, Flags China LNG Sales Push (Feb 21)
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
Company: Drillsearch Energy more info
- Beach Energy Makes $31M in Annual Savings Through Merger with Drillsearch (Apr 27)
- Australia's Beach Energy Completes Merger with Drillsearch Energy (Mar 01)
- Australia's Federal Court Approves Beach Energy-Drillsearch Energy Merger (Feb 18)