Viper Prospect Strikes for Marathon, Partners
Marathon Petroleum Norge AS, operator of production license 203, has completed the drilling of wildcat well 25/4-10 S at the Viper prospect in the Norwegian North Sea. The well, which encountered oil, was drilled about six kilometers south of the production ship on the Alvheim field in the central North Sea.
The size of the discovery is estimated to be between 5 to 10 million barrels of recoverable oil. It is likely that the discovery will be developed as a subsea tieback to the Alvheim FPSO.
The objective of the well was to prove petroleum in the Hermod Formation in Paleocene age reservoir rocks updip of a nearby discovery well. The well was successful encountering an oil column and an extensive data acquisition has been completed. The well was drilled as a first branch of a dual branched exploration well to a vertical depth of 2,196m. The second branch will target the South Kneler prospect in the Heimdal formation.
Well 25/4-10 S is the sixth exploration well in production licence 203. The license was awarded in the 15th licensing round in 1996. 25/4-10 S was drilled to a vertical depth of 2196 meters below the sea surface, and was terminated in Paleocene rocks (the Heimdal formation). The water depth at the site is 126 meters. The well will be permanently plugged and abandoned.
The well was drilled by the Transocean Winner semisub, which will now proceed to drill wildcat well 25/4-10 A in the same production licence.
- ConocoPhillips Strikes First Oil at New Alaska Site (Oct 10)
- ConocoPhillips to Divest Timor Sea Acreage (Oct 01)
- KBR, ConocoPhillips to Develop Off-the-Shelf LNG Tech (Sep 18)
Company: Marathon Oil Company more info
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Transocean Wins Multi-well NCS Contract for New Semisub (Sep 21)
- Driller Transocean Eyes Improved Lease Rates, Activity In 2019 (Sep 05)
Company: Norwegian Petroleum Directorate more info
- NPD Grants Lundin Permit for Appraisal Well Offshore Norway (Jan 20)
- Aker BP Makes North Sea Find (Dec 23)
- Norwegian Production Rises (Dec 21)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
- Equinor, Partners to Develop Next Phase of Johan Sverdrup (Aug 27)
- Lundin Petroleum Raises Size Of Norway's Rolvsnes Oil Discovery (Aug 27)
- Output At Lundin's Grieg Field Back To Normal After Forties Outage (Dec 27)