PPL Shipyard Exercises Right for Seadrill's West Elara Jackup
Sembcorp Marine's subsidiary, PPL Shipyard (PPL), has exercised its right to acquire the second unit of the jackup drilling rig West Elara from Seadrill Limited (Seadrill) based on mutually beneficial revised terms as agreed by all parties in January 2009.
West Elara is currently under construction in the shipyard and is built based on the proven PPL Pacific 375 Deep Drilling Jackup design. The rig is due for completion in September 2010.
There are buyers who are interested in the jackup rig. With this acquisition, PPL would have the flexibility to deal with the potential buyers. PPL will pay a sum of US $10.8 million for the acquisition. Further announcement will be made at the appropriate time when the transaction is done.
The first jackup unit, the West Leda, which PPL is currently constructing for Seadrill, is progressing on schedule with progressive payment received on time.
The above is not expected to have any material impact on the net tangible assets and earnings per share of Sembcorp Marine for the year ending December 31, 2009.
- Singapore's Sembcorp Marine 1Q Profit Slumps 86%, Outlook Subdued (Apr 25)
- Rig Builder Sembcorp Marine 2Q Net Profit Falls 51% (Jul 27)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
Company: PPL Shipyard more info
- Sembcorp Marine Acquires Remaining 15% Stake in PPL Shipyard for $115M (Aug 24)
- Perisai Petroleum Defers Delivery of Perisai Pacific 102 to End October (Jun 13)
- PPL Shipyard Serves Termination Notice on MPD Over Jackup Construction Spat (Dec 02)
Company: Seadrill Ltd more info
- Fredriksen Is Back in Rigs After $5 Billion Vanished in Seadrill (Jul 06)
- Seadrill CEO Sees Consolidation Speeding Up Drilling Market Recovery (Jul 03)
- Seadrill Emerges From Chapter 11 Bankruptcy (Jul 02)