DONG: Oil Cos Exploring in Greenland form Lobby Group
LONDON (Dow Jones), Nov. 6, 2009
A group of western oil companies and the state-owned Greenland oil company have formed an industry lobby group to facilitate the development of hydrocarbon resources in the country, Denmark's DONG Energy said in a statement Friday.
The Greenland Oil Industry Association consists of DONG, the Greenland subsidiaries of Exxon Mobil Corp., Chevron Corp., Cairn Energy PLC, Husky Energy Inc., PA Resources AB and state-owned Nunaoil AS.
"With the increased focus on Greenland as a potential oil and gas province, the energy companies present in Greenland have been in dialogue on the need for a common approach to several issues," said DONG Chairman Arne Rosenkrands. "We are confident that the GOIA will make a solid contribution to the successful development of the industry in Greenland."
Companies in the GOIA will cooperate to ensure safe and environmentally friendly exploration drilling and oil production activities and communicate with local authorities and communities, the statement said.
Greenland is widely seen in the industry to have great potential for oil and gas discoveries, although its remote location and harsh environment will make it costly and technically challenging to explore and develop resources.
Cairn Chief Executive Mike Watts describes Greenland as one of the top 10 oil exploration hotspots in the world.
Last month, Malaysian state oil company Petroliam Nasional Berhad bought a 10% stake in Cairn's six offshore exploration blocks in Greenland for $310 million in cash - an unusual deal for such high risk frontier exploration acreage.
Cairn has been conducting seismic surveys on its exploration blocks and plans to drill its first wells next year.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- India Plans Larger Oil Auctions as Modi Pursues Import Cuts (Sep 14)
- Cairn Energy: SNE-5 Appraisal Well Hits Oil, Gas (Mar 07)
- AkerBP, Cairn Energy Make Jefferies Top Pick List (Jan 09)
Company: DONG more info
- European Oil Majors Seek To Harness US Offshore Wind (Aug 01)
- Billionaire Ratcliffe Hunts Oil to Repeat Chemicals Empire Build (May 24)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
- Offshore Australia Project Marks Step-Change (Jan 16)
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: Husky Energy more info
- Crude, Pipeline Woes Loom Over Oil-Sands Earnings (Oct 25)
- MEG Starts Bidding War After Rejecting $2.34B Husky Offer (Oct 17)
- Canadian Oil Executives Downplay Transportation Bottlenecks (Jul 10)
Company: Nunaoil A/S more info
- PA Resources Awards Greenland Seismic Contract (Mar 18)
- DONG: Oil Cos Exploring in Greenland form Lobby Group (Nov 06)
- EMGS Lands 3D Survey Gig Offshore Greenland (Aug 12)
Company: PA Resources more info
- PA Resources Completes Divestment of North Sea Assets (Mar 24)
- PA Resources Welcomes New CEO (May 15)
- Noble Finds Oil at Carla South (May 02)