StatoilHydro Halts Investments in Iran in Current Climate
LONDON (Dow Jones), Oct. 30, 2009
StatoilHydro Friday said it has no plans to make any fresh investment in Iran, and confirmed its obligations at the Khorramabad block there have ended.
Company spokeswoman Maria Dotterud said: "We will not in the current situation make any further investment in Iran."
She said the company's obligations relating to seismic activities at the Khorramabad block in Iran were concluded before 2009, and there are no firm plans to drill the first exploration well there.
"We have reduced our activities in Iran over the last year," Dotterud said.
Mehr News Agency in Tehran reported Friday the seismic data collected at Khorramabad verified the existence of "extensive gas and oil reserves" in the block which is owned by the National Iranian Oil Company.
StatoilHydro's Web site said exploration on the Anaran field in Iran "resulted in promising commercial discoveries in recent years" but noted "work on this project is currently suspended." Some lawmakers have questioned the extent of StatoilHydro's participation in the Iranian energy sector.
Under the U.S. Iran Sanctions Act companies are prohibited from investing more than $20 million in the country. Earlier this month U.S. federal lawmakers raised the issue again, urging the Obama's administration to enforce the act and asking whether the State Department has determined how much and which companies may have violated it.
The act aims to limit investment in Iran in response to the country's violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions ordering a halt to uranium enrichment.
Other companies, including Royal Dutch Shell, Eni and Petroleo Brasileiro SA are also being scrutinized for their investments.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Oil May Bring 400,000 Jobs and $258B in Investments to Brazil (Jan 17)
- Petrobras Sells Rights in 37 Oilfields for $823MM (Nov 28)
- Brazil Subsea Pipeline Project Goes to McDermott (Nov 21)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: ENI more info
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- Eni to Operate Alaska Oil Field (Jan 03)
- Eni Spuds Well in Central North Sea (Dec 31)
Company: National Iranian Oil Company more info
- National Iranian Oil Co, Thailand's PTTEP Agree To Oilfield Studies (Dec 06)
- Britain Pushing to Ease Sanctions on BP Gas Field - Report (Sep 22)
- On the Table: Iran to Tender 8 Exploration Blocks (Mar 02)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)