Eni and Sonangol Strike Oil at Cabaca Norte Off Angola
Eni and Sonangol have announced an important oil discovery at the Cabaça Norte-1 well, 350 km North of Luanda, offshore Angola. The well, located in Block 15/06 in 500 meters of water, was drilled to a total depth of 2,830 meters and encountered oil pay in sands with excellent reservoir characteristic. It produced oil at rates in excess of 6,500 barrels of oil per day during production tests (rates were constrained by surface equipment).
Four exploration wells have been drilled in the block so far, with three (Sangos, N'Goma and Cabaça Norte) resulting in discoveries. The results of the well exceeded pre-drill expectations, and Cabaça Norte could become the largest discovery to date in Block 15/06 after its delineation. Following this discovery, further wells will be drilled in the vicinity of Cabaça in order to accelerate the development of a second production hub in the block (the 'Northeastern Hub').
The first production hub (the 'Northwestern Hub'), centerd upon the Sangos and N'Goma discoveries (the first two wells drilled by Eni in Block 15/06), is in the pre-development phase with ongoing studies and appraisal drilling taking place.
This successful discovery confirms the high potential of Block 15/06, which was awarded to Eni in 2006 following an extremely competitive international tender. The success to date in exploring the block is also due to Eni's deepwater experience and use of its proprietary technologies to minimize the technical risks.
Eni has a 35% working interest and is the operator in Block 15/06, while Sonangol E&P is the concessionaire. The other partners of the Contractor Group are Sonangol Pesquisa e Produção (15%), SSI Fifteen Limited(20%), Total (15%), Falcon Oil Holding Angola SA (5%), Petrobras International Braspetro B.V. (5%) and Statoil Angola Block 15/06 Award AS (5%).
Eni has been present in Angola since 1980. Eni's current equity production reaches approximately 130,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day. This discovery further strengthens Eni's presence in the Country, confirming Angola as one of the core countries in the company's organic production growth strategy.
Operates 35 Offshore Rigs
Manages 13 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)