Westech, NZOG Gear Up to Drill Offshore Albacore Prospect
Westech Energy expects to begin drilling its Albacore-1 offshore north Taranaki well in November with New Zealand Oil & Gas as a 40% partner. Albacore-1 will be drilled by the Ensco 107 jackup rig, which has been successfully drilling production wells at the Maari oil field.
Westech, a subsidiary of private Denver-based Energy Corporation of America, is the operator of the permit and until recently held a 90% interest in the permit (PEP 38491). NZOG joined the joint venture and Mighty River Power Gas Investments Ltd continues to hold unchanged the remaining 10%.
NZOG chief executive David Salisbury said his company's assessment is that the central northern Taranaki basin is a very prospective part of the basin. There are three separate play fairways within PEP 38491 -- a Pliocene Fan and two Mangaa sands -- and it contains half a dozen interesting prospects.
He said the Albacore prospect contains three separate target zones that may contain hydrocarbons. The Albacore-1 well will target structures recently defined by 3D seismic at depths of 1,400 to 1,800 m.
Salisbury said NZOG's internal analysis is that Albacore is more likely to contain oil than gas and, if successful, could support an offshore development similar to Tui.
NZOG now has interests in seven permits in the offshore Taranaki Basin and one in the Canterbury Basin. NZOG will be participating in the drilling of at least four wells this summer.
Westech Energy also holds the onshore Hawkes Bay PEP 38346 in the East Coast Basin.
Manages 63 Offshore Rigs
- Ensco Acquires Atwood Oceanics, Lays Off Staff (Oct 10)
- Lamprell to Compensate Ensco for Delay in Delivery of ENSCO 140 (Aug 29)
- Lamprell Delays Delivery of Jackup to Mid-August Due to Technical Issue (Jul 27)
Company: New Zealand Oil & Gas more info
- NZOG Submits Application to Exit Kaheru PEP 52181 (Mar 23)
- New Zealand Pushes Ahead to Grow Upstream Sector, Reap Economic Gains (Aug 28)
- Australia's AWE, PPP, NZOG To Drill 2nd Oil Well Off NZ Coast (Jun 10)
Company: Westech Energy more info
- Ensco 107 Ready to Spin Bit at Albacore Prospect Off NZ (Nov 24)
- Westech, NZOG Gear Up to Drill Offshore Albacore Prospect (Oct 28)
- Westech to Test Flow Waitahora-1 East Coast Well (Jul 18)
Company: New Zealand Crown Minerals more info
- Crown Minerals Closes PIT Petroleum Applications (Jul 09)
- Hydraulic Workover Unit Mobilizes on Maui A (Apr 20)
- TAG Oil Targets Higher Output at Cheal (Apr 09)