Gardenia Prospect Offshore Angola Blooms for Total
Total announced that its subsidiary, TEPA (Block 17/06) Limited, and Sociedade Nacional de Combustíveis de Angola (Sonangol E.P.), have discovered oil on Block 17/06, in the deep waters of the Angolan offshore.
Gardenia-1 is the first well and the first discovery made on Block 17/06. It was drilled in a water depth of 977 meters. The well discovered hydrocarbon reservoirs, both in the Miocene and the Oligocene. On the Miocene interval, the well produced 4,000 barrels per day (b/d) of 25 API° oil during tests.
This first discovery of Gardenia-1 confirms the potential of the north-western part of Block 17/06. A campaign of further drilling on the block will start on the fourth quarter 2009.
Sonangol E.P. is the concessionary of Block 17/06. TEPA (Block 17/06) Limited is the operator with a 30% stake. The other partners on Block 17/06 are Sonangol Pesquisa e Produção, S.A. (30%), SSI Seventeen Limited (27.5%), ACREP Bloco 17 S.A. (5%), Falcon Oil Holding Angola, S.A. (5%) and PARTEX Oil and Gas (Holdings) Corporation (2.5%).
Deep offshore Block 17, operated by Total with a 40% interest, is Total's principal asset in Angola. It is composed of four major zones: Girassol-Rosa and Dalia, which are currently producing; Pazflor, a project under construction for a production start in 2011; and CLOV (based on the Cravo, Lirio, Orquidea and Violeta discoveries), a project under bidding process.
Total is also the operator with a 30% stake in the ultra deep offshore Block 32, on which 12 discoveries were made, confirming the oil potential of the block. Pre-development studies for a first production zone in the central south eastern portion of the block are under way.
In addition, the Angola LNG project for the construction of a liquefaction plant near Soyo is designed to bring the country's natural gas reserves to market. This project, on which Total holds a 13.6% stake, will be supplied by the associated gas from the fields on Blocks 0, 14, 15, 17 and 18. The project is underway with production expected to begin in 2012.
- Oil CEOs Jostle for Global Natgas Crown Under Putin's Gaze (Oct 04)
- Uganda Expects to Miss Target for First Oil (Sep 24)
- Total Joins Tullow-operated Block Offshore Guyana (Sep 13)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)
Company: Partex Oil and Gas more info
- Total-Led Consortium Snaps Up Interest in Algerian Ahnet License (Dec 22)
- Gardenia Prospect Offshore Angola Blooms for Total (Oct 23)
- Total Secures Long Term Partnership in Abu Dhabi's Gasco (Apr 01)