Abu Dhabi to Launch Massive Offshore Development in 2010
ABU DHABI (Zawya Dow Jones), Oct. 20, 2009
Zakum Development Co., or Zadco, which is majority-owned by Abu Dhabi National Oil Co., will tender contracts next year to help it develop at a cost of as much as $15 billion the massive Upper Zakum oil field, a senior company official said Tuesday.
Zadco, in which Exxon Mobil Corp. holds a 28% stake, plans to tender engineering, procurement and construction, or EPC, contracts for the so-called early producing facilities, or EPFs, at Upper Zakum in late 2010, Salah Al Bufalah, major projects manager at Zadco, said at an industry conference organized by London-based MEED in Abu Dhabi.
Completion of the project that's vital for boosting oil capacity in the United Arab Emirates is on target for 2015, the official said.
The contracts are likely to be awarded in the first half of 2011, he added. The EPFs will provide an initial output boost at the field, which presently pumps about 500,000 barrels a day, with full capacity set to reach 750,000 barrels a day in 2015, Al Bufalah said.
The production level is set to be maintained for a period of 25 years from 2015, he added.
Zakum, which comprises the Upper Zakum and the Lower Zakum fields, is the second-largest field in the Persian Gulf and the fourth-largest oil field in the world. Japan's Inpex Corp. holds a 12% stake in Zadco, while Adnoc owns 60%.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 13 Offshore Rigs
- Oil, Gas Leaders Warn Trump He Risks Harming Their Industry (Mar 16)
- Exxon Mobil Partnering With Pakistan for Third LNG Terminal (Mar 16)
- Tillerson Has 180 Million Reasons Not to Return to Oil Industry (Mar 13)
Company: Inpex more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Japan's Inpex Sticks To End-March Start-Up Target For Ichthys LNG Project (Mar 09)
- Inpex Halts Construction At Australian LNG Site After Worker Dies (Nov 30)
- Japan's Inpex Says Ichthys LNG Project On Track For March Start (Nov 08)
Company: Abu Dhabi National Oil Company more info
- Abu Dhabi Gets Bids for Offshore Oil in Plan to Expand Capacity (Jan 22)
- UAE's ADNOC Proposes Change To Oil Price Mechanism (Dec 11)
- Nikkei: ADNOC To Decide On Japan Oil Concession Renewal By Early Next Year (Jul 28)
Company: Zakum Development Company more info
- Petrofac Celebrates Sail-Away of First Modules to ZADCO's Upper Zakum Field (Oct 27)
- Amec Foster Wheeler Awarded PMC Contract Extension in Middle East (Aug 18)
- Foster Wheeler Secures Availability, Reliability Study in UAE (Mar 02)