StatoilHydro's Frigg Area Yields More Crude
Oil has been discovered by StatoilHydro in the Frigg Delta prospect in the North Sea, with proven recoverable volumes put at 18-35 million barrels.
This find is located about 21 kilometers east of the abandoned Frigg field and 12 kilometers north of Froy.
"It’s commercially interesting, and we've already started looking at prospects for a development linked to nearby oil resources," said Tom Dreyer, head of infrastructure-led exploration in the North Sea.
The discovery well encountered oil in sandstone of good reservoir quality belonging to the Frigg formation.
"Our starting point has been an old unclarified find in this formation," explained Dreyer. "An analysis of this, combined with new seismic data, put us quickly on the track of the oil we’ve now proven in Frigg Delta."
The total potential recoverable volume in this discovery and the nearby Frigg Gamma and Frigg Epsilon reservoirs is in the order or 62-189 million barrels of oil equivalent.
The Ocean Vanguard semisub, responsible for the discovery, will now redeploy to the Norwegian Sea to drill an exploration well on the Floien prospect also operated by StatoilHydro.
In addition to the group with 40%, licensees in production license 442 covering Frigg Delta are Svenska Petroleum Exploration with 40% and Det Norske with 20%.
Facts about Frigg Delta
- StatoilHydro is operator for PL 442, awarded in 2007, and has completed drilling of 25/2-17 as the first exploration well on this acreage.
- The discovery has not been tested, but data have been gathered and cores taken.
- Located in 120 meters of water, the well will now be permanently plugged and abandoned.
- It was drilled to a vertical depth of 2,171 meters beneath sea level, and terminated in rocks of Lower Eocene age belonging to the Balder formation.
- Diamond Offshore Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Loss On Lower Costs (Jul 30)
- Diamond Offshore Posts Smaller-Than-Expected Quarterly Loss (Apr 30)
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
Company: Det norske oljeselskap ASA more info
- Det Norske Completes Merger with BP Norge, Creates Aker BP (Sep 30)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit Offshore Norway (Sep 20)
- Det Norske Increases Production Guidance for 2016 (Sep 14)
Company: Svenska Petroleum more info
- Det Norske Buys Svenska Petroleum's Norwegian Business for $75M (Oct 14)
- Det Norske Drills Two Dry Wells (Sep 09)
- Statoil Finds Oil, Gas at Askja (Jan 02)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)