Sakhalin Secures $1.4B in Largest Russian Project Financing
Sakhalin Energy, a company jointly owned by OAO Gazprom (Gazprom), Royal Dutch Shell plc (Shell), Mitsui & Co., Ltd. (Mitsui) and Mitsubishi Corporation (Mitsubishi) with Mitsui holding a 12.5% stake, signed a US $1.4 billion project finance contract with a consortium of international commercial banks. This finance contract is a significant milestone for the Sakhalin II project.
Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI), an export credit agency owned by the Japanese government, will provide overseas united loan insurance (investment and loan insurance for natural resources and energy). Based on the project finance contract and the NEXI insurance, the consortium banks will provide Sakhalin Energy with fund totaling US $1.4 billion. In this context, Mitsui, along with other shareholders of Sakhalin Energy, signed a sponsor guarantee contract providing guarantees for the loan until the completion of the project.
Sakhalin Energy already signed a US $5.3 billion project finance contract with Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC) and a consortium of international commercial banks in June, 2008 to fund a part of the development cost of the project. The US $1.4 billion this time is additional funding and will be used to finance the completion of the full scope of works of the Sakhalin-2 Phase II project, including the ongoing drilling program for gas and oil production.
This additional funding will contribute to the stability and economics of the project and, eventually to the energy security of Japan.
- US House Opposes Russian Gas Pipeline (Dec 11)
- Gazprom's Second Quarter Profit Soars On Rising Energy Prices, Sales (Aug 29)
- Russian Gas Exports Hit a New Summertime Record (Jul 17)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Sakhalin Energy Investment Co. more info
- Sakhalin Energy Appoints BMT to Provide Weather Forecasting Services (Mar 16)
- Sakhalin Energy Delivers 100th Cargo of Russian LNG (Jan 29)
- Sakhalin Energy Welcomes New Chief Executive Officer (Dec 07)
Company: Mitsui more info
- Japan's Mitsui Chemicals Restarts Naphtha Cracker At Fire-Hit Plant (Aug 13)
- Japan's Mitsui OSK Targets 26% Stake In Swan's Indian LNG Unit (Sep 18)
- As Rivals Circle, Japan Boosting Firepower To Buy Global Energy Assets (Sep 23)
Company: Mitsubishi more info
- Japan Mitsubishi Corp To Acquire 25% Stake In Bangladesh LNG Terminal (Aug 17)
- Mitsubishi Heavy Bets on New US Turbomachinery Demand (Feb 17)
- Shell-Led Group Delays Decision On Canada Gas Export Plan (Jul 12)