Australian Govt Awards 10 Offshore Oil Exploration Blocks
CANBERRA (Dow Jones), Oct. 2, 2009
Permits to explore in 10 new offshore oil exploration blocks in waters off Western Australia and the Northern Territory, with total planned investment of A$158 million, were awarded on Friday by Resources and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson.
Two permits were awarded in the Carnarvon Basin, offshore Western Australia, to Woodside Petroleum Ltd., Chevron Australia and Shell Development Australia, Ferguson said in a statement.
Other companies awarded blocks included Carnarvon Petroleum Ltd., Finder Exploration, Goldsborough Energy, Murphy Australia Oil and Diamond Resources.
"The additional investment in Australia's offshore petroleum exploration sector not only offers exciting potential for petroleum discovery but will ultimately help to further develop our petroleum resource and underpin our security of energy supply," he said.
Blocks are awarded under a works bidding program, whereby applicants are required to nominate a guaranteed minimum dry hole exploration program for each of the first three years and a secondary program for the remaining three years, he said.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Woodside more info
- Offshore Australia Contract Goes to KBR (Oct 11)
- Pipe Dream? Chevron, Woodside Vie to Shape Australia's LNG Sector (Jun 15)
- Chevron Unveils Shared Vision for North West Shelf Infrastructure Stimulus (May 16)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
Company: Carnarvon Petroleum Limited more info
- Australia's Quadrant, Carnarvon Hail 'Incredible' Oil Find in Sector Ripe f (Aug 08)
- Carnarvon Adds WA-524-P Permit on Western Australia's NWS to Portfolio (Sep 20)
- Carnarvon Says Positive Signals Emerges from Roc-2 Well Drilling Off WA (Sep 19)
Company: Finder Exploration Pty Ltd more info
- Finder Sells Entire Acreage Holding Off WA to Quadrant Energy Australia (May 03)
- Planning Underway to Drill Roc-2 Appraisal Well Off WA in 2H 2016 (Mar 17)
- Carnarvon Confirms Condensate Rich Gas Find at Roc-1 Well in Block WA-437-P (Jan 18)