Australian Govt Awards 10 Offshore Oil Exploration Blocks
CANBERRA (Dow Jones), Oct. 2, 2009
Permits to explore in 10 new offshore oil exploration blocks in waters off Western Australia and the Northern Territory, with total planned investment of A$158 million, were awarded on Friday by Resources and Energy Minister Martin Ferguson.
Two permits were awarded in the Carnarvon Basin, offshore Western Australia, to Woodside Petroleum Ltd., Chevron Australia and Shell Development Australia, Ferguson said in a statement.
Other companies awarded blocks included Carnarvon Petroleum Ltd., Finder Exploration, Goldsborough Energy, Murphy Australia Oil and Diamond Resources.
"The additional investment in Australia's offshore petroleum exploration sector not only offers exciting potential for petroleum discovery but will ultimately help to further develop our petroleum resource and underpin our security of energy supply," he said.
Blocks are awarded under a works bidding program, whereby applicants are required to nominate a guaranteed minimum dry hole exploration program for each of the first three years and a secondary program for the remaining three years, he said.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 31 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Heavy Hitters Line Up to Dive Into Mexico's Deep Waters (Jan 26)
- UK Firm Intertek Says Employee Involved in Shell Oil Theft Case (Jan 17)
- Shell Looks Beyond Road Fuels to Secure Future of Refining (Nov 06)
Company: Woodside more info
Operates 3 Offshore Rigs
- Woodside To Raise $2B, Look To Offshore Gas Project For Growth (Feb 14)
- Chevron Starts LNG Output at Australia's Wheatstone (Oct 09)
- Global LNG: Faltering Supply Prompts Short-Covering Price Rally (Aug 11)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Chevron Says It Will Not Dispute Climate Science in US Lawsuit (Mar 22)
- Oil, Gas Leaders Warn Trump He Risks Harming Their Industry (Mar 16)
- Chevron Backs 2018 Production Rise, Eyes Share Buybacks (Mar 06)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)
Company: Carnarvon Petroleum Limited more info
- Carnarvon Adds WA-524-P Permit on Western Australia's NWS to Portfolio (Sep 20)
- Carnarvon Says Positive Signals Emerges from Roc-2 Well Drilling Off WA (Sep 19)
- Quadrant Energy Says Roc-2 Well in Permit WA-437-P Confirms Hydrocarbons (Sep 09)
Company: Finder Exploration Pty Ltd more info
- Finder Sells Entire Acreage Holding Off WA to Quadrant Energy Australia (May 03)
- Planning Underway to Drill Roc-2 Appraisal Well Off WA in 2H 2016 (Mar 17)
- Carnarvon Confirms Condensate Rich Gas Find at Roc-1 Well in Block WA-437-P (Jan 18)