StatoilHydro Marks 15 Years Since Signing 'Contract of the Century'
September 20 will mark exactly 15 years since the signing of what is known in Azerbaijan as the "Contract of the century," namely the production sharing agreement for the giant ACG oil field, where StatoilHydro is one of the partners.
The Azeri-Chirag-Guneshli (ACG) oil field, the world's largest producing offshore field with a current production rate of almost 900,000 bpd, forms today the backbone of the country's economy.
StatoilHydro executive vice president Helga Nes was in Baku in connection with the aniversary, and opened an exhibition co-sponsored by StatoilHydro and Socar dedicated to 130 years since the founding of the Nobel Brothers Company (BraNobel) in Baku, an event that is seen as pivotal to the development of the Azerbaijani oil industry.
"Today, we celebrate two great Azerbaijani oil success stories -- 130 years since the Nobel Brothers started their historic oil company in Azerbaijan, and 15 years since the signing of the 'Contract of the century'," she stated. "Both successes are based on strong leadership, innovation and technological advances -- while overcoming geopolitical challenges."
A consortium of 11 foreign oil companies, including Statoil, concluded a 30-year agreement with the Azerbaijani government on the exploration, development and production of three offshore fields in the Azerbaijani sector of the Caspian Sea.
The resources and the endeavour were enormous in size and significance. Azerbaijan exports its ACG Light crude blend primarily to Turkish ports on the Mediterranean Sea through the 1700 km long Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan (BTC) pipeline, the second longest in the world.
"ACG is a world scale project, 2.5 times bigger than the Statfjord field, and we in StatoilHydro are proud to be part of its success. Azerbaijan is one of the core areas in StatoilHydro's international portfolio. We have been present in the country since 1992 and are the second largest investor in the country. So far in ACG and BTC we've invested more than US $3 billion; our average equity production year to date is approximately 70.000 bbld," said Kristian Hausken, country manager for StatoilHydro in Azerbaijan.
ACG's shareholders are BP (34.1%), Chevron (10.2%), Socar (10%), Inpex (10%), StatoilHydro (8.56%), ExxonMobil (8%), TPAO (6.8%), Devon (5.6%), Itochu (3.9%), Hess (2.7%).
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: Hess Corporation more info
- Hess Market Cap Plunges $1.5B (Dec 24)
- Hammerhead-1 Strikes Offshore Guyana (Aug 30)
- Hess Loss Shrinks As Higher Oil Prices Offset Falling Output (Jul 25)
Company: SOCAR more info
- Pertamina Invites Socar, JX Nippon To Partner On Balikpapan Upgrade (Aug 01)
- Socar's Oil Trading Arm Rolls Back Expansion After Weak Profits (Jul 18)
- BP, SOCAR Sign PSA for Exploration, Development Offshore Azerbaijan (Apr 27)
Company: Devon Energy more info
- Permian Auction Doubles 2008 Record with near Billion-Dollar Sale (Sep 07)
- Shale Companies Sink On Investor Disappointment, Hedging Losses (Aug 01)
- Devon Energy Plans to Lay Off 9 Percent of Staff to Boost Returns (Apr 10)
Company: Inpex more info
- Darwin Seeks To Shed Frontier Image To Become World-Class LNG Export Hub (Jul 27)
- Shell, Inpex Near Finish Line in Race to Export North Australian LNG (Apr 24)
- Australia's Ichthys Project to Import LNG to Cool Plant Ahead of Start-up (Apr 23)
Company: TPAO more info
- KOGAS Says Starts Commercial Crude Oil Production in Iraq's Badra (Sep 01)
- Turkey's TPAO Signs $1.5B Deal To Buy Total's Stake In Azeri Gas Project (May 30)
- Turkey's TPAO Says In Talks With Exxon, OMV, MOL For Joint Oil Exploration (Feb 19)
Company: Itochu more info
- Gas Glut Upends Global Trade Flows As Buyers Find New Leverage (Aug 16)
- CITIC Resources, ITOCHU Sign MOU to Collaborate on E&P Projects (Jun 22)
- North West Shelf LNG Tender Goes to BG, Itochu and Statoil (Jun 19)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)