GNPC, Vitol Find Oil and Gas at Cape Three Points Block
The Sankofa -1A well drilled in its Cape Three Points Block, offshore Ghana, by the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) in conjunction with Vitol Upstream Ghana Limited (Vitol), encountered a net hydrocarbon column of approximately 36.3 meters comprising 33.1 meters of gas column and 3.2 meters of oil column in reservoir sands of Campanian age.
The success of this well confirms the prospectivity of these Upper Cretaceous reservoir sands in the Tano/Cape Three Point Basin blocks offshore Western Ghana where the Jubilee field was discovered and is being developed.
The Sankofa -1A well, located 38km east of the Jubilee Field and 21km east of the Odum discovery in the West Cape Three Points block, has been suspended for possible re-entry. The target reservoir was successfully cored and a full wireline logging program was also run.
The well was drilled with the Blackford Dolphin Semi-Submersible drilling rig in water depths of 866 meters and reached a total depth of 3,704 metres MD (3,674 meters TVDSS).
The Vitol Block covers a total area of 2,080 square kilometers in water depths ranging from 50 meters to 1,400 meters. This is the first exploration well to be drilled during the first phase (that is 3 years) of the three-phased seven-year exploration period provided for in the Petroleum Agreement entered into with the Government of Ghana and GNPC in 2006.
Vitol has 90% interest in the block while GNPC has 10% carried interest. GNPC has the option of acquiring an additional 10% paying interest on commercial discovery. Vitol also operates the offshore Cape Three Points South Block.
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Anadarko Terminates Drilling Contract for Belford Dolphin Drillship (Mar 16)
- Cairn Postpones Spanish Point Drill Due to Rig Delays (Jul 09)
- Newbuild Bolette Dolphin Drillship Unveils in South Korea (Jun 20)
Company: Ghana National Petroleum more info
- Russia's Gazprom Signs LNG Supply Deal With Ghana (Sep 18)
- National Petroleum: Ghana Oil Output To Hit Up To 110,000 Bpd In 2014 (Apr 08)
- Ghana President Names New Head of State Oil Company (Sep 20)
Company: Vitol GPC Investments more info
- Noble Americas to Cut 150 Employees Ahead of Vitol Sale (Dec 22)
- World's Biggest Oil Traders See Wildly Diverging Crude Price (Oct 19)
- Middle East Oil Producers Turn to Crude Trading to Boost Incomes (Sep 29)