Marathon Pumps First Oil from Volund on Norwegian Shelf
Marathon Oil, through its wholly owned subsidiary Marathon Petroleum Company (Norway) LLC, announced with its partners that the Volund development offshore Norway has achieved first production.
"This is a very proud day for Marathon as it marks completion of our second major field development project in Norway, and within only 15 months of starting up Alvheim operations," said Kristin Faerovik, managing director of Marathon Petroleum Company (Norway) LLC. "Volund is the second tie-back to the Alvheim floating, production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel, following Vilje; and it firmly establishes the FPSO as a new oil processing hub in the Norwegian Continental Shelf.
"Current oil production from the Alvheim FPSO is approximately 140,000 gross barrels per day (bpd), which is about 20,000 bpd greater than nameplate capacity -- another great success story," Faerovik said. "This exceptional performance means that the facility is already being fully utilized, resulting in the first Volund well functioning as a swing producer until there is some natural decline in the Alvheim fields, likely by the middle of 2010."
The Volund field is expected to reach a peak oil production of approximately 25,000 bpd gross (16,000 bpd net to Marathon), the timing of which is subject to available processing capacity on the Alvheim FPSO.
The Volund field is located in block 24/9 of the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, approximately 8 kilometers (5 miles) south of the Marathon operated Alvheim field, and is covered under Production License PL150. Marathon holds a 65 percent working interest in Volund and serves as operator, while Lundin Norway AS holds the remaining 35 percent working interest.
Marathon holds a 65 percent operated interest in the Alvheim field and associated FPSO, and a 47 percent outside-operated interest in Vilje.
- Harvey's Wake Tempers Bullish Outlook for US Oil Output Growth (Sep 01)
- RoyalGate to Drill New Well in Equatorial Guinea's Block Z (Sep 25)
- ShaMaran Subsidiary to Contest TAQA Default Notice (Sep 21)
Company: Lundin Petroleum AB more info
- Equinor, Partners to Develop Next Phase of Johan Sverdrup (Aug 27)
- Lundin Petroleum Raises Size Of Norway's Rolvsnes Oil Discovery (Aug 27)
- Output At Lundin's Grieg Field Back To Normal After Forties Outage (Dec 27)