Petrobras Unlocks Discovery at Abare West in Santos Pre-Salt
Petrobras, along with partners BG Group and Repsol, has unlocked another new discovery in the Santos Basin pre-salt BM-S-9 concession area, in ultradeep waters offshore Brazil.
The well 4-SPS-66C (4-BRSA-723C), know as Abaré Oeste (Abare West), proved the presence of an accumulation of oil and natural gas in a separate structure within the 1-SPS-50 (Carioca) evaluation plan area on BM-S-9. This is the fourth well drilled in block BM-S-9 and the existence of hydrocarbons was proved in all of them.
The evaluation plan area also encompasses the separate Iguaçu (4-BRSA-709 (4-SPS-60, announced April 2009) and Carioca discoveries (1-BRSA-491-SPS (1-SPS-50), announced September 2007). Abare West is approximately 30 kilometers from the Iguaçu discovery and 40 km from the Carioca discovery and 50 km to the west of the Guara discovery (1-BRSA-494-SPS), also in the BM-S-9 concession, announced June 2008.
Abare West is in 2163 meters of water, approximately 290 km off the coast of Sao Paulo State and encountered a hydrocarbon column containing oil, gas and carbon dioxide in pre-salt reservoir sections.
The discovery was proved via oil, natural gas and carbon gas content sampling via a cable test carried out in reservoirs located at depth of some 5150 m and analyses are being carried out with the samples that were recovered.
The Consortium, formed by Petrobras (45% - Operator), BG Group (30%), and Repsol (25%), will give continuity to the activities and investments that are required to assess this area pursuant to the Evaluation Plan approved by the National Petroleum Agency (ANP).
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: BG Group more info
- Shell Mulls LNG-Hub Network as Use by Ships and Trucks Expands (Jul 11)
- Tanzania Laws Would Allow Govt to Tear Up Mining, Energy Deals (Jun 29)
- Despite Cuts, Big Oil to Expand Production into the 2020s (Sep 05)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Stena Drilling more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- Norway Rig Workers Agree Wage Deal, Avoid Strike (Jun 25)
- Statoil Takes $350M Hit on Angola Exploration Halt (Nov 21)
- 3Legs Sells its Last Polish Shale Gas Concessions (Nov 05)