Premier Barnett Welcomes Federal Decision on Gorgon
Premier Colin Barnett has welcomed today's Federal Government environmental approval to enable the development of the Gorgon project on Barrow Island.
Barnett said the decision marked the final step in a very long process of State and Commonwealth environmental approval for the project.
"This is another step towards the creation of thousands of jobs for Western Australians," he said.
"There has been an unprecedented level of intensity in government to work towards achieving a result that will not only encourage jobs and economic development, but also ensure that exacting and stringent environmental management is adhered to.
"Today's approval is a compliment to Environment Minister Donna Faragher and the State Government departments that have been involved in setting conditions.
"It is at the State level that all of the detailed environmental assessment and conditions have been set down and the Federal Minister has endorsed it. This has been a good example of State and Commonwealth Government co-operation."
Following today’s approval there are three key approvals that need to happen:
- Final Investment Decision by the joint venture partners to go ahead with the Gorgon project
- Offer of production licenses
- Premier must give Development Approval for the project under the Barrow Island Act.
"I am confident the project will go ahead and deliver huge benefits to the State," the Premier said.
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)