Santos Strikes Gas in Browse Basin Offshore Western Australia
Santos confirmed that the Burnside-1ST1 exploration well in permit WA-281-P in the Browse Basin offshore Western Australia has encountered a 65 meter gross gas column in the primary target, the Brewster Sandstone. Further work will be done to determine the commercial significance of the discovery.
The Burnside-1ST1 well is located approximately 450 kilometers from Broome and approximately 40 kilometers from Ichthys and other discovered fields. The water depth at location is 215 meters.
Wireline logging has indicated the presence of gas throughout the relatively low-permeability sandstone interval. Pressure data acquired within the reservoir supports the potential for the gas column to extend below the base of the sand. The reservoir penetrated in the Burnside-1ST1 well is within the same geologic formation that is gas-bearing in nearby fields such as Ichthys, Mimia and Prelude.
Santos Vice President Exploration, Trevor Brown said, "It's pleasing to make a discovery in a basin with so many developments under consideration. Further work will now be done on recovered samples to understand the reservoir characteristics and an appraisal plan will be developed to define the size of the resource."
The Burnside-1ST1 well will be plugged and abandoned as planned.
Santos operates the WA-281-P Permit in the Browse Basin with a 47.8306% interest on behalf of Joint Venture Partners Chevron Australia (WA-281-P) Pty Ltd (24.83%), INPEX Browse Ltd (20%) and Beach Petroleum Ltd (7.3394%).
- Australia's Santos Profit Soars, Flags China LNG Sales Push (Feb 21)
- Santos Seen Luring More Bids After Rejecting $7.2 Billion Offer (Nov 16)
- Australia's Santos Steps Up Effort To Avert LNG Export Curb (Aug 30)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Tight Oil, Shale to Drive Majors' Output to New Highs (Oct 16)
- Saturno Brazil Pre-Salt Acreage Goes to Shell and Chevron (Sep 28)
- Canada Shale Drillers Feel Permian Pain as Prices Collapse (Sep 20)
Company: Inpex more info
- Darwin Seeks To Shed Frontier Image To Become World-Class LNG Export Hub (Jul 27)
- Shell, Inpex Near Finish Line in Race to Export North Australian LNG (Apr 24)
- Australia's Ichthys Project to Import LNG to Cool Plant Ahead of Start-up (Apr 23)
Company: Beach Petroleum more info
- Beach Commences Production from Middleton Gas Project (Jan 09)
- Beach Says Hello to Mr. Rod Rayner (Nov 11)
- Beach Energy Gains Majority Control of Adelaide Energy (Nov 10)