Dhirubhai Deepwater KG1 Drillship Spins Bit Offshore India
Transocean's ultra-deepwater drillship Dhirubhai Deepwater KG1 has commenced operations in India under a five-year drilling contract with Reliance Industries Limited. The company currently expects that Reliance will sublet the rig for the first four years of the contract to Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited, and that Reliance will operate the rig for the fifth year of the contract.
The Dhirubhai Deepwater KG1 is the first of two ultra-deepwater newbuild drillships owned by a joint venture company with Pacific Drilling Limited ("Pacific Drilling") and scheduled to commence operations in 2009 and 2010. The second ultra-deepwater newbuild drillship Dhirubhai Deepwater KG2 is also contracted and is scheduled to commence operations in 2010.
The dynamically positioned, double-hulled drillship Dhirubhai Deepwater KG1 features National Oilwell Varco drilling packages that include advanced offshore drilling technology, with significant off-line tubular-handling and stand-building capabilities, advanced mud system designs, advanced systems for building, storing and running several subsea trees and efficient riser and BOP (blowout preventer) handling systems.
The drillship has a variable deckload of approximately 20,000 metric tons, is equipped to work in water depths of up to 10,000 feet and is outfitted to construct wells up to 35,000 feet deep.
In addition, Transocean has another eight ultra-deepwater newbuild floaters, all of which have drilling contracts and are scheduled to commence operations in the next two years. These units are the Discoverer Clear Leader, Discoverer Americas, Discoverer Inspiration, Discoverer India and Discoverer Luanda, Deepwater Champion, Petrobras 10000 and Development Driller III.
Operates 40 Offshore Rigs
Manages 8 Offshore Rigs
- Venezuela's PDVSA To Tap Oil Customers To Pay $449MM To ONGC (Nov 15)
- Sources: India ONGC Strikes 'Good' Offshore Oil, Gas Find (Sep 20)
- India To Acquire Seismic Data Of 48,000 Line kms To Boost Oil, Gas Output (Sep 12)
Company: Transocean Ltd. more info
Manages 53 Offshore Rigs
- Oil's Biggest Rigs Headed to Junkyard as Daily Losses Mount (Oct 18)
- Transocean To Buy Norwegian Rig Firm Songa Offshore For $1.1B (Aug 15)
- Borr Drilling Signs Deal With Transocean to Buy 15 Rigs (Mar 20)
Company: Reliance Industries more info
- India's Reliance Declares 30pct Higher Refinery Capacity at Export Plant (Jan 17)
- OPEC's Output Curbs Squeeze World's Biggest Oil Refining Complex (Oct 16)
- India's Reliance Industries 2Q Profit Up 7%, Lags Estimates (Oct 13)
Company: National Oilwell Varco more info
- Robotics and Automation: The Oil, Gas Skillsets of the Future (Nov 15)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
- Shale Drilling Technology to Head Overseas in Next Market Upturn (Oct 27)
Company: Pacific Drilling Limited more info
Manages 7 Offshore Rigs
- At $500 Million A Pop, It's An Oil Gamble That Has No Precedent (Sep 20)
- Pacific Drilling Cancels Contract with SHI to Build Pacific Zonda Drillship (Oct 30)
- Gulf of Mexico Oil Rig Worker Dies in Accident (Oct 21)