Petrobras Spies Traces of Oil in BM-S-7 Block
Brazil's National Petroleum Agency was notified late Friday that Petrobras discovered traces of oil at a recently drilled well in the offshore Santos Basin.
Drilled by the Pride South Atlantic semisub and located in the BM-S-7 block, the 9BRSA741SPS reached a target depth of 4,625 meters and has tested positive for oil.
The BM-S-7 block already contains Petrobras and Repsol's Piracuca discovery, which is estimated to contain light oil and natural gas reserves of some 550 million barrels of oil equivalent and has been deemed commercially viable.
Petrobras retains a 63% stake in the BM-S-7 block; Repsol holds the remaining 37%.
According to the ANP, oil companies must inform the agency of any oil, natural gas or hydrocarbon find within 48 hours of the find. However, this disclosure does not confirm whether or not the find is commercially viable.
- Murphy Oil and Petrobras to Form Gulf of Mexico JV (Oct 11)
- Offshore Brazil Contract Extension Goes to Transocean (Sep 28)
- Union: Petrobras Plans To Start Reopening Replan Refinery In 48 Hours (Aug 22)
Company: Repsol more info
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
- Repsol Asks Vietnam For Compensation After Drilling Project Halted (May 04)
Company: Pride International more info
- Randy Stilley Comes on Board of Paragon Offshore (Feb 04)
- Ensco Completes Pride Acquisition (May 31)
- Pride, Ensco Enter MOU in Merger Lawsuit (May 20)