Iraq to Hold Roadshow Aug 25 on 2nd Round Oil, Gas Deals
AMMAN (Dow Jones Newswires), Jul. 27, 2009
Iraq's Oil Ministry will hold a roadshow in Istanbul next month to brief international companies on a list of oil and gas fields to be offered later this year in a second licensing round for long-term development contracts, a statement posted on the ministry's Web site Sunday said.
"The roadshow will be in Istanbul on Aug. 25, 2009 at the Intercontinental Hotel," the ministry said in a statement issued by the Petroleum Contracts and Licensing Directorate, or PCLD.
The PCLD issued a final list of fields in its second post-war licensing round, listing 10 projects - including the prized and largely untapped fields of Majnoon and West Qurna phase II. The new list excluded the southern Siba gas field.
"They were 11 groups of fields, but the oil ministry in a meeting last week decided to exclude Siba gas field," a top ministry official told Dow Jones Newswires by telephone from Baghdad.
"It was dropped because it is near the border with Iran," he said without giving further details.
The PCLD said: "Registration for the roadshow is only for companies that are pre-qualified to participate." The oil ministry pre-qualified some 49 international companies to take part in the first and second bidding rounds. They include the oil majors such as Total, BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Chevron, ExxonMobil, Lukoil, and ConocoPhillips.
"Companies will need to sign in to register for this event," it added.
Unlike in the first round, there will be no soft loans attached to the second-round service contracts, but signature bonuses will be instated in a tender protocol to be issued in few weeks, the official said.
The second bidding round, unlike the first round's producing fields, covers mostly undeveloped fields. Some small oil fields were grouped together.
They included Halfaya in the southern Missan province: Garraf in Thi Qar province; Kifl, Kifl West and Marjan in Najaf and Kerbala provinces; Badra in Wasit; Qaiyarah and Najmah in the northern Nineveh province; and Gumar, Gilabat; Nau Doman, and Khashm Al-Ahmr in the northeastern Diyala province.
Only the northern part of the giant East Baghdad oil field is included in the second bid round, while the southern portion of the field is to be awarded under an exploration, production and construction, or EPC, deal.
The second round also excluded giant fields such as West Qurna phase I, Zubair, Missan, Bai Hassan and Kirkuk which weren't awarded in the first round held in Baghdad June 30.
The only deal awarded in the first licensing auction was the giant Rumaila oil field to an alliance consisting of BP and China National Petroleum Corp.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
- Venezuela Unites (For Once) Around Guyana (Dec 27)
Company: Lukoil more info
- Eni and Lukoil Form Offshore Mexico JVs (Nov 06)
- Lukoil Taps SNC-Lavalin for Iraq Contract (Sep 06)
- Lukoil Reports 20% Rise In 2Q Profit On Stronger Oil, Weaker Rouble (Aug 29)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
- Total to Start Crude Exports From New Field Offshore Nigeria (Dec 20)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Contracts Rowan Jackup (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Plans for $6.1B Capital Spend in 2019 (Dec 10)
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: CNPC more info
- CNPC Plans Internal Consolidation To Fast-Track Gas Storage Upgrade (Jun 01)
- Total at Risk of Losing Gas Field Stake to CNPC If It Quits Iran (May 07)
- China's CNPC Sells First Gasoline To Americas As Fuel Stocks Hit Record (Apr 03)
Company: Iraq Ministry of Oil more info
- Exxon Spearheads Iraqi Water-Injection Project (Apr 19)
- Iraq to Alter Signature Bonuses on 2 Oil Field Deals (Apr 15)
- Iraq Plans New Licensing Auction for 3 Gas Fields (Apr 14)