Ministry of Manpower Awards Keppel Slew of Safety Awards
The Keppel Group has garnered 18 safety accolades, the largest number for a single entity, at this year's Annual Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Awards held by the WSH Council and the Ministry of Manpower.
The Group's offshore and marine division was bestowed 14 safety awards for sterling newbuild and conversion projects without incidents while two of its supervisors were singled out for their exemplary safety leadership. The division's specialized shipbuilding unit, Keppel Singmarine, also garnered the Silver Award for Workplace Safety & Health Performance for the third year in a row.
Specifically, Keppel FELS received six awards for its newbuild jackup rig projects: the Maersk Resolute, Maersk Resolve, Ocean Shield, Al Zubarah, Deep Driller 6 and the Wilboss.
Keppel Shipyard secured five awards for the FPSO/FSRU Conversion projects for the FPSO Ningaloo Vision, FPSO Saxi Batuque, FPSO Espirito Santo, FPSO Golar Spirit and the Frontier Phoenix.
Lastly, Keppel Singmarine garnered the Silver Award for its newbuild specialized vessels, Yuri Korchagin, TOBOY and the G1200.
Choo Chiau Beng, CEO of Keppel Corporation, said, "At Keppel, we continue to focus on promoting individual and collective responsibility to ensure workplace safety. We believe that everyone must embrace safety as a way of life.
"We are very encouraged by the Ministry of Manpower's recognition of our sustained efforts. I would like to see more Keppel business units deepen their safety efforts by partnering their stakeholders, including customers and subcontractors, and the WSH Council to ensure that everyone in our workforce goes home safely each and everyday."
In 2008, Keppel launched the 'Safety Starts with Me' initiative with the aim to imbue in every single employee a sense of personal and collective responsibility for safety through various educational schemes and incentives.
During that year, a total of $17.5 million was invested in safety training for the workforce and to improve safety standards of the Group's yards, offices and plants in Singapore. This amount is a 25% increase over $14 million in 2007 and a 70% increase over $10.6 million in 2006. Another $21.4 million was also invested in 2008 to improve safety levels at the Group's overseas operations.
Through its sustained and systematic efforts, the Keppel maintained a low Accident Frequency Rate (AFR) of 0.4 reportable cases for every million man-hours worked in 2008. This was further reduced to 0.36 reportable cases in the first half of 2009 for its Singapore operations.
Taking safety ownership to the next level, Keppel launched the 'Safety Starts with Me -- Together We Care' campaign in early 2009, which reaches out to a wider group comprising the all stakeholders, including the subcontractors. This scheme aims to instill in all parties, the importance of looking out for one another and build up a work-safe environment.
The Workplace Safety & Health Awards (WSHA) is an annual award presented by the Workplace Safety and Health Council (WSHC), in collaboration with the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), to give recognition to companies or organizations that have performed well in safety and health through the implementation of sound safety and health management systems.
Manages 19 Offshore Rigs
- New Contracts Drive Diamond Offshore's Profit Beat; Shares Rise (Oct 30)
- Diamond Offshore's Profit Beats Estimates On Lower Costs (May 01)
- Offshore Drillers Still Seeking Recovery Enjoyed by Shale (Feb 07)
Company: Keppel FELS more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Floatel Triumph, Upcoming Work at Wheatstone Field (Sep 30)
- Asia Oil, Gas Layoffs Mount as Industry Recovery Stays Elusive (Sep 08)
- Keppel FELS Delivers Jackup UMW Naga 8 to Malaysia's UMW Oil & Gas (Sep 02)
Company: Gulf Drilling International more info
- Keppel FELS Delivers Newbuild Jackup Halul to Gulf Drilling International (Jan 26)
- Keppel O&M Posts 4Q 2015 Net Loss of $42.5M, Updates on Brazil Contracts (Jan 22)
- Gulf International Drilling's Contracts Hit by Low Oil Prices (Apr 13)
Company: Aban Offshore more info
Manages 17 Offshore Rigs
- Aban Offshore Bags $87M Contract to Provide Aban Abraham Drillship to ONGC (Jun 28)
- Aban Offshore Inks Deal to Provide Aban II to ONGC for $50M (Oct 27)
- Aban Offshore Clinches $182.7M Deals to Supply 2 Jackups to ONGC (Oct 13)
Company: Keppel Singmarine more info
- Keppel Singmarine to Deliver Newbuild Seaways 24 Anchor Handling Tug Soon (Aug 10)
- Keppel Singmarine Bags $74M Contracts from Jan De Nul to Build 3 Dredgers (Jul 21)
- McDermott to Name Flagship Derrick Lay Vessel at Singapore's Keppel Yard (Feb 19)
Company: Keppel Offshore & Marine Limited more info
- FPSO Armada Kraken on Track for North Sea Deployment (Aug 29)
- Bumi Armada's LNG FSU Leaving Singapore Soon to Work for EletroGas Malta (Aug 11)
- McDermott, N-KOM Signs MOU to Jointly Pursue EPCI Projects Offshore Qatar (Jul 27)