RWE Dea Takes Bigger Bite of Breagh in UK North Sea
With a 70% stake RWE Dea will take over the majority of the Breagh gas field and its operatorship. Sterling Resources Ltd. will keep a 30% share in the asset. The estimated resources probably make Breagh and the surrounding fields one of the largest undeveloped natural gas discoveries in the British southern North Sea.
"This development project is an ideal supplement to RWE Dea's portfolio in the United Kingdom and our core region North Sea," said Thomas Rappuhn, Chief Operating Officer of RWE Dea AG. "Production of this field will contribute significantly to our overall aim to double RWE Dea's natural gas and oil production within the next few years." Completion of the acquisition and the handover of the operatorship are subject to the approval of the Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change of the United Kingdom.
"Breagh fits very well into RWE Dea's technical expertise in gas fields," added René Pawel, Managing Director of RWE Dea UK. The field development is to be implemented speedily. The estimated net resources are substantial and will significantly contribute to the increase of RWE Dea's gas resources. Further upside potential is expected in the surrounding exploration blocks.
Beside the overall strategy of RWE to grow the upstream position of natural gas, the acquisition supports the committed investment in new, high efficiency gas fired power generation in the United Kingdom. It is envisaged to market the natural gas produced at Breagh via RWE Supply and Trading.
The Breagh gas field is located in block 42/13a and 42/12a of the southern North Sea, 65 kilometres from the Northeast coast of England and 86 kilometres from Cavendish gas field, which is also operated by RWE Dea. The sellers of Breagh gas field are a consortium of Sterling Resources (UK) Ltd., EnCore (SNS) Ltd., EnCore Petroleum Ltd., RegEnersys Ltd., Stratic Energy Corp., Faroe Petroleum (UK) Ltd. and Petro Ventures Ltd.
- Sharp Fall In Applications For Norway's Arctic Oil Permits (Dec 05)
- Lundin Granted Drilling Permit in PL609 (Sep 10)
- Lundin Spuds Appraisal Well on Alta Discovery (Mar 25)
Company: Faroe Petroleum more info
- Faroe Fights DNO Offer With Valuation Report (Jan 02)
- DNO Withdraws Request For Faroe Board Seats As Conflict Escalates (Aug 27)
- Independents Go Big in North Sea (Jan 03)
Company: Sterling Resources more info
- Britain's Breagh Gas Field Back Up after 7 Week Closure (Dec 30)
- Production at UK Breagh Gas Field to Resume in 6-8 Weeks (Nov 20)
- UK's Breagh Gas Field Shut, Maybe for Two Weeks - Sterling (Nov 13)
Company: Stratic Energy more info
- EnQuest Commences Drilling at West Don Field (Aug 09)
- EnQuest Increases Reserves in North Sea with Stratic Acquisition (Aug 03)
- Stratic Highlights 1Q10 Financial, Operational Results (May 28)
Company: EnCore Oil plc more info
- Deo Petroleum: Amalgamation Agreement Finalized (Jan 12)
- Egdon Acquires EnCore Stake (Jan 06)
- Weather Delays Drilling at EnCore's Tudor Rose Well (Dec 08)
Company: RegEnersys more info
- RWE Dea Takes Bigger Bite of Breagh in UK North Sea (Jul 22)
- Sterling & RegEnersys Agree to Farm Out Terms on North Sea Blocks (Feb 22)