First Subsea Completes Thunder Hawk Mooring Connections
Subsea connector specialist, First Subsea has completed the installation of the twelve mooring connectors for the Thunder Hawk DeepDraft Semi, a semisubmersible floating production unit (FPU) in 6,050 feet (1,800m) in the Gulf of Mexico.
The Thunder Hawk FPU is anchored with a polyester rope-chain spread mooring system connected to twelve driven piles by Ballgrab mooring connectors. The mooring connectors' receptacles were first pre-installed in a docking porch on each of the driven piles. Once the Thunder Hawk FPU was in position, the male Ballgrabs were attached to the end of each of the mooring lines were connected.
Clay Thompson, Installation Manager, SBM Atlantia Inc., was responsible for supervising the installation of the mooring lines. He commented, "The First Subsea team did a great job; the Ballgrab mooring connector installations went very well. By pre-installing the female connectors on the piles, we were able to attach the male connector within a few minutes once it was within a few feet of the female connector."
DeepDraft Semi is a registered trademark of Atlantia Offshore Ltd.
First Oil from Thunder Hawk
On July 8, 2009, Murphy Oil announced that it pumped first oil from the Thunder Hawk field located in Mississippi Canyon Block 734 in the Gulf of Mexico. The field lies in over 5,700 feet of water, approximately 145 miles southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana.
Murphy serves as operator and has a 37.5% working interest in Thunder Hawk. Partners are Eni (25%), StatoilHydro USA E&P, Inc. (25%), and Marubeni Oil & Gas (USA) Inc. (12.5%).
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Eni Promises Richer Returns After Exploration Success (Mar 16)
- Egypt's Potential Gas Surplus Could Feed Global LNG Glut (Feb 20)
- Egypt With Eni to Fast-Track Zohr Gas Output, Minister Says (Jan 31)
Company: Murphy Oil Corporation more info
Operates 1 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Murphy Oil CEO: Now is the Time for Deepwater to Come Back (May 02)
- Pilot Energy Inks Deal to Acquire Murphy's Stake in Permit WA-481-P Off WA (Jul 27)
Company: Marubeni Corp more info
- Peru Resumes LNG Exports With Shipment To South Korea (Feb 27)
- JOGMEC, Inpex, Marubeni Ink Exploration Deal with Rosneft (Dec 15)
- Indonesia's Small-Scale LNG Plans Face Several Challenges (Apr 15)
Company: SBM Atlantia more info
- First Subsea Completes Thunder Hawk Mooring Connections (Jul 15)
- Thunder Hawk Drydocked for Hull Repair in Port Arthur (Nov 26)
- SBM Atlantia Introduces New FPSO Deepwater Mooring Technology (May 13)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)
Company: First Subsea Ltd more info
- First Subsea Wins Contract to Supply Libyan Vessel (Jan 07)
- First Subsea Grabs Mooring Contract for Heidelberg (Jul 18)
- First Subsea Finishes FPSO Mooring Offshore Angola (May 29)