Japan Hopes for Stakes in Iraq Nassiriya Oil Field
TOKYO (Dow Jones Newswires), Jul. 9, 2009
Japan reiterated Thursday its hope to get a stake in Iraq's Nassiriya oil field.
Japan's Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Toshihiro Nikai, who met with Iraqi Oil Minister Hussain al-Shahristani in Tokyo Thursday, requested special consideration of stakes sought by Japanese companies at Nassiriya and other oil and gas fields, said a senior METI official who also attended the meeting.
Shahristani told Nikai that Iraq would welcome Japanese companies' interest in the fields, the official said.
The Iraqi oil minister is visiting Japan to attend a seminar on Iraq investment opportunities to be held in Tokyo Friday.
A consortium that includes Nippon Oil Corp., Japan's largest refiner by capacity, Inpex Corp. and JGC Corp. is seeking stake in the oil field, which is expected to be awarded outside planned Iraqi government auctions.
Italy's Eni SpA, Nippon Oil and Spain's Repsol YPF SA are competing for a contract to develop the field, the Iraqi Oil Ministry said in January.
The field, with an estimated crude oil reserve of around 4 billion barrels, could produce up to 300,000 barrels a day, Iraqi oil experts say.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Offshore Mozambique Block Goes to Eni (Oct 17)
- Offshore Mexico FPSO Contract Goes to Modec (Oct 12)
- Eni Makes New Gas Discovery in Egypt (Aug 30)
Company: Repsol more info
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
- Repsol Asks Vietnam For Compensation After Drilling Project Halted (May 04)
Company: Inpex more info
- Darwin Seeks To Shed Frontier Image To Become World-Class LNG Export Hub (Jul 27)
- Shell, Inpex Near Finish Line in Race to Export North Australian LNG (Apr 24)
- Australia's Ichthys Project to Import LNG to Cool Plant Ahead of Start-up (Apr 23)
Company: Nippon Oil Exploration more info
- Canadian Oil Sands Halts Syncrude Production After Fire, Prices Spike (Aug 31)
- Tap Updates Zola-1 Drilling in Carnarvon Basin (Dec 22)
- Iraq-Nippon Talks on Nassiriya Oil Field Deadlocked (Mar 01)
Company: Iraq Ministry of Oil more info
- Exxon Spearheads Iraqi Water-Injection Project (Apr 19)
- Iraq to Alter Signature Bonuses on 2 Oil Field Deals (Apr 15)
- Iraq Plans New Licensing Auction for 3 Gas Fields (Apr 14)
Company: JGC more info
- $14B LNG Canada Contract Goes to Fluor and JGC (Oct 02)
- Australia's UGL Faces More Provisions On Work For Ichthys LNG (Jun 06)
- JGC Clinches $240M EPC Contract to Build Gas Processing Plant in Aceh (Apr 01)