Chevron Celebrates First Oil from Mafumeira Norte Off Angola
Chevron announced today that its subsidiary Cabinda Gulf Oil Company Limited (CABGOC) and its partners commenced crude oil production ahead of schedule from the Mafumeira Norte project located offshore Angola.
"Today's milestone underscores Chevron's commitment to growing its resource base in West Africa and delivering on our robust queue of major capital projects," said George Kirkland, executive vice president, Global Upstream and Gas, Chevron.
Located in 160 feet (49 meters) of water about 15 miles (24 km) off the Angolan coastline, the Mafumeira Norte project is the first phase development of the Mafumeira Field located in Area A of Block 0. The project is being commercialized through fourteen wells to the existing Kungulo water injection platform and is expected to reach maximum total production of 30,000 barrels of crude oil and 30 million cubic feet per day of natural gas in 2011.
"Production from Mafumeira Norte is an exciting milestone for Chevron and its partners in terms of bringing new energy supplies onto the world market and providing benefits to Angola," said Ali Moshiri, president of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production.
The engineering, procurement, construction, and installation contract for the Mafumeira Norte platform was awarded to Sonamet (Lobito), a joint venture between Sonangol and Acergy, marking the first time Sonamet was awarded such a contract. The fabrication of the platform was completed at Sonamet's Lobito yard in southern Angola.
Chevron, through CABGOC, has a 39.2 percent interest and is the operator of the Block 0 contractor group, which also comprises SONANGOL P&P (41 percent), Total (10 percent) and ENI (9.8 percent).
- Saudi Aramco and Total JV to Hire SMBC to Advise on Funding (Jan 17)
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: ENI more info
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- Eni to Operate Alaska Oil Field (Jan 03)
- Eni Spuds Well in Central North Sea (Dec 31)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)