Chevron Celebrates First Oil from Mafumeira Norte Off Angola
Chevron announced today that its subsidiary Cabinda Gulf Oil Company Limited (CABGOC) and its partners commenced crude oil production ahead of schedule from the Mafumeira Norte project located offshore Angola.
"Today's milestone underscores Chevron's commitment to growing its resource base in West Africa and delivering on our robust queue of major capital projects," said George Kirkland, executive vice president, Global Upstream and Gas, Chevron.
Located in 160 feet (49 meters) of water about 15 miles (24 km) off the Angolan coastline, the Mafumeira Norte project is the first phase development of the Mafumeira Field located in Area A of Block 0. The project is being commercialized through fourteen wells to the existing Kungulo water injection platform and is expected to reach maximum total production of 30,000 barrels of crude oil and 30 million cubic feet per day of natural gas in 2011.
"Production from Mafumeira Norte is an exciting milestone for Chevron and its partners in terms of bringing new energy supplies onto the world market and providing benefits to Angola," said Ali Moshiri, president of Chevron Africa and Latin America Exploration and Production.
The engineering, procurement, construction, and installation contract for the Mafumeira Norte platform was awarded to Sonamet (Lobito), a joint venture between Sonangol and Acergy, marking the first time Sonamet was awarded such a contract. The fabrication of the platform was completed at Sonamet's Lobito yard in southern Angola.
Chevron, through CABGOC, has a 39.2 percent interest and is the operator of the Block 0 contractor group, which also comprises SONANGOL P&P (41 percent), Total (10 percent) and ENI (9.8 percent).
- Total Starts Up Antwerp Refinery And Petrochem Complex After Upgrade (Nov 30)
- Hoegh LNG: Pakistan LNG Import Project Consortium Folds (Nov 16)
- France's Total Buys Engie's LNG Business For $1.5B (Nov 08)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- ExxonMobil Jumping in to Mexico Fuel Market With First US Cargo (Dec 06)
- Chevron To Study Mexican Oil Block, No Drilling Seen In First 4 Years (Nov 30)
- Buying Texas Oil at New Mexico Prices: Majors Go West for Shale (Nov 14)
Company: ENI more info
Operates 11 Offshore Rigs
- Italy Prosecutors Probe Eni For Tax Evasion At Refineries (Nov 22)
- Officials: BP, Eni Interested In Developing Iraq's Majnoon Oilfield (Nov 20)
- Eni's Giant Gas Field Prompts Egypt to End Imports in 2018 (Nov 15)
Company: Sonangol more info
- Buyers Eye Sinopec's Argentina Oil Assets in Sale Worth Up to $1B - Sources (Oct 09)
- US Oil Firm Cobalt Files For Arbitration Against Angola For $2B (May 12)
- US Firm Cobalt Threatens Arbitration Over Angolan Oil Assets (Apr 03)