South American Oil Majors Team Up to Explore Offshore Uruguay
BUENOS AIRES (Dow Jones Newswires), Jul. 1, 2009
YPF SA has won a bid to explore for oil in offshore blocks near the coast of Uruguay, the company said in a statement late Wednesday.
YPF will have a 40% stake in the exploration, sharing the other 40% with Petrobras Uruguay, a unit of the Brazilian oil giant Brazil's Petroleo Brasileiro SA, and Portugal's GALP, which has a 20% share.
YPF will operate the deep water "exploratory block 3" while Petrobras will operate the shallow water "exploratory block 4," both located along the coast of Punta del Este.
YPF is a unit of the Spanish oil firm Repsol YPF SA. However, a YPF official said the decision to participate in this project was made locally by local management.
YPF didn't say how much it plans to invest in the project.
"These two awards represent the return of YPF as an international operator and they form part of a strategic exploration association in the South Atlantic between Argentina and Petrobras," YPF said.
The news comes several weeks after a consortium led by Repsol YPF announced plans to explore for oil in international waters between Argentina and the Falkland Islands.
Exploration in that project is slated to take place some 289 kilometers off the Argentine coast and begin in the first quarter of 2010.
Petrobras and BP-controlled Pan American Energy are also part of that consortium, which will invest $98 million in the project.
In May, Rockhopper Exploration PLC announced that it was making progress on an oil and gas exploration project in the North Falkland Basin, located to the northeast of Cuenca Malvinas.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Operates 33 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- Owners of Louisiana-Illinois Pipeline Eye Reversal Next Steps (Dec 21)
- Canadian Offshore Oil Interest Grows As Pipeline Woes Sink Alberta Prices (Dec 20)
Company: Petrobras more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
Manages 10 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, Petrobras Form Alliance To Develop Oil, Gas Projects (Dec 14)
- Natural Gas In Petrobras Pipelines Up About 23% In 2017 (Dec 05)
- Petrobras CEO Says To Discuss Refining Partnership With CNPC CEO (Nov 15)
Company: Repsol more info
- Exxon Mobil Bets on Brazil, Buys 10 Oil Blocks in Auction (Sep 28)
- Repsol Says Drilling Suspended On Vietnam Oil Block Disputed By China (Aug 02)
- China Urges Halt To Oil Drilling In Disputed South China Sea (Jul 25)
Company: Rockhopper Exploration more info
- ERCE: Sea Lion Complex Could Hold 1.7B Barrels of Oil (May 17)
- Beach Energy Updates on Sale of its Egyptian Subsidiary to Rockhopper (Apr 18)
- Subsea 7, National Oilwell Varco Secure Sea Lion FEED Contracts (Feb 11)
Company: Galp Energia more info
- Galp Cuts Investment Plan, Sees Higher EBITDA Growth (Feb 21)
- Eni Board Authorizes Investment for First Phase of Coral Discovery (Nov 18)
- European Oil, Gas Companies Looking to Cut Costs Further (Oct 31)