Oil Majors Seen Bidding for Iraq's Prized Oil Fields
BAGHDAD (Dow Jones Newswires), Jun. 29, 2009
Several major oil companies are expected to bid Tuesday for eight prized Iraqi oil and gas fields listed in the first such tender in more than three decades, Iraqi oil and company sources close to the negotiations said Monday.
International oil firms are being tight-lipped about which Iraqi fields they are targeting.
While nothing definitive can be said, BP PLC is understood to be concentrating on Iraq's largest oil field, the 17 billion barrel Rumaila in southern Iraq, having negotiated for it in the aborted technical support contracts round last year, the sources said.
Chevron Corp. is teaming up with Total SA, and Lukoil Holdings with ConocoPhilips, to bid for the West Qurna Phase 1. The field has proven crude oil reserves of 8.6 billion barrels.
Royal Dutch Shell PLC is expected to bid for the Kirkuk oil field in northern Iraq, on which it negotiated with the Oil Ministry during the TSC round. Turkey's TPAO held talks with Shell to team up for Kirkuk, the sources said.
ConocoPhillips and Marathon Corp. are interested in bidding for Bai Hassan oil field which is near the Kirkuk field, the sources added. "ConocoPhillips conducted a study on Bai Hassan with the assistance of the Oil Ministry," an Iraqi oil industry told Dow Jones Newswires.
"Both ExxonMobil and Italy's Eni are looking at Zubair oil field in southern Iraq," a company executive said. ExxonMobil negotiated over the field with the government during the TSCs round last year.
Japan's Japan Petroleum Exploration Co. Ltd. and Mitsubishi Corp. are both interested on Missan oil fields which are currently producing 110,000 barrels a day and have a potential to produce more than 275,000 barrels a day.
Italy's Edison SpA is believed to be the main bidder for the 4 trillion cubic feet Akkas gas field. Sources said Edison had teamed up with four Asian companies for the field in the western Anbar province.
India's Oil and Natural Gas Corp. Ltd., Canada's Nexen Corp., Norway's StatoilHydro have also put significant resources into studying Iraq and they are likely to be serious bidders, they said. Italy's Eni SpA, Spain's Repsol YPF and Japan's Nippon are competing for the Nassiriyah oil field which is outside the first bidding round. The fate of Nassiriyah field could determine each company's interest in the bid round. Repsol reported to be out of the race for the field, with a production potential of 125,000 barrels a day.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Exxon Mobil Corporation more info
- Venezuela Will Remap its Caribbean Oil, Gas Prospects (Jan 09)
- Offshore Guyana Wildcat Spuds (Jan 07)
- Venezuela Unites (For Once) Around Guyana (Dec 27)
Company: Lukoil more info
- Eni and Lukoil Form Offshore Mexico JVs (Nov 06)
- Lukoil Taps SNC-Lavalin for Iraq Contract (Sep 06)
- Lukoil Reports 20% Rise In 2Q Profit On Stronger Oil, Weaker Rouble (Aug 29)
Company: Nexen, Inc. more info
- Alberta Regulators Charge Nexen Energy Over 2015 Pipeline Spill (Jul 06)
- Cenovus Drops Most Ever as $13.3 Billion Deal Ramps Up Risks (Mar 30)
- UKCS Oil, Gas Extraction Drops 10% (Dec 08)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Total S.A. more info
- Deepwater Nigeria Field Starts Production (Jan 02)
- Total Spuds Well Offshore South Africa (Dec 27)
- Total to Start Crude Exports From New Field Offshore Nigeria (Dec 20)
Company: ConocoPhillips more info
- ConocoPhillips Contracts Rowan Jackup (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Plans for $6.1B Capital Spend in 2019 (Dec 10)
- ConocoPhillips Departs Barnett (Nov 01)
Company: Chevron Corporation more info
- Transocean Lands $830MM Rig Contract with Chevron (Dec 28)
- Premier Oil Eyes Bid for Chevron's North Sea Assets (Dec 13)
- Big Oil Battles Prolonged Gender Problem (Dec 04)
Company: ONGC more info
- Subsea Contract Features Made-in-India Element (Oct 03)
- India Tells State Oil Firm ONGC to List Overseas Unit (Aug 21)
- ONGC, Reliance in Talks with Customers to Sell East Coast Gas (Apr 10)
Company: ENI more info
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- Eni to Operate Alaska Oil Field (Jan 03)
- Eni Spuds Well in Central North Sea (Dec 31)
Company: Repsol more info
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
Company: Edison more info
- Total, Edison Get Greek Go-Ahead For Oil And Gas Exploration (Feb 28)
- Louisiana LNG Project Gains European Customer (Sep 27)
- Sources: Total-Led Consortium Bids for Greek Offshore Gas Drilling Block (Feb 05)
Company: TPAO more info
- KOGAS Says Starts Commercial Crude Oil Production in Iraq's Badra (Sep 01)
- Turkey's TPAO Signs $1.5B Deal To Buy Total's Stake In Azeri Gas Project (May 30)
- Turkey's TPAO Says In Talks With Exxon, OMV, MOL For Joint Oil Exploration (Feb 19)
Company: Japan Petroleum more info
- PETRONAS $8.5B Canada Gas Plan Buoyed By Aboriginal Vote (Aug 29)
- PETRONAS LNG Bid Faces 90-Day Wait As Clock Ticks For Trudeau (Jun 28)
- Canadian Agency Extends Application For Petronas LNG Project (Mar 21)
Company: Nippon Oil Exploration more info
- Canadian Oil Sands Halts Syncrude Production After Fire, Prices Spike (Aug 31)
- Tap Updates Zola-1 Drilling in Carnarvon Basin (Dec 22)
- Iraq-Nippon Talks on Nassiriya Oil Field Deadlocked (Mar 01)
Company: Iraq Ministry of Oil more info
- Exxon Spearheads Iraqi Water-Injection Project (Apr 19)
- Iraq to Alter Signature Bonuses on 2 Oil Field Deals (Apr 15)
- Iraq Plans New Licensing Auction for 3 Gas Fields (Apr 14)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)