Repsol, INA Eye Jordan Exploration Block
AMMAN (Dow Jones Newswires), Jun. 23, 2009
Spain's Repsol YPF SA and Croatia's INA dd are interested in entering sharing agreements with Jordan to explore for oil and gas, a source at the kingdom's Natural Resources Authority said Tuesday.
"Repsol and INA are interested in the Northern Highlands Block," the source told Dow Jones Newswires.
INA is 47.15% owned by Hungarian oil and gas company MOL Nyrt.
NRA offered production-sharing contracts for the Northern Highlands and Jafr and Central Jordan Blocks to international companies and set July 2 as the closing date for offers. The Northern Highland Block, near the border with Syria, has a total area of 7,500 square kilometers. The block adjoins the West Safawi Block. The Jafr Block is part of the oil and gas prospective areas in Jordan and adjoins the producing oil field at Azraq and the promising one in Sirhan.
The Jordanian government concluded four production sharing contracts with international companies in May 2007 for four exploration blocks, out of a total of eight blocks drawn up the NRA for exploration.
Jordan signed last month a concession agreement with Royal Dutch Shell PLC to explore for oil in its vast oil shale deposits. Shell is expected to invest billions in the project over 20 years.
The project would cover an area of 22,000 square kilometers and could produce thousands of barrels of oil from oil shale. Jordan is also in the final stages of striking another deal with oil major BP PLC to explore and boost output from the Kingdom's Risha gas field.
Jordan, which is home to around 6 million people and imports around 95% of its energy needs, aims to boost production from the Risha gas field, near the border with Iraq, to 50 million cubic feet a day in the first investment stage from 22 million cubic feet a day now, officials said.
Copyright (c) 2009 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
- Eni Secures Two Deals for Oman Blocks (Jan 14)
- BP Plans to Drill 6 More Wells in Azerbaijan (Jan 10)
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to TechnipFMC (Jan 09)
Company: Shell more info
- GOM Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Nov 27)
- Shell Exec Says Canada Pipeline Debacle Won't Affect LNG Decision (Sep 24)
- Silvertip Subsea Contract Goes to McDermott (Aug 07)
Company: Repsol more info
- Big Oil Reuses Platforms in Latest Cost-Cutting Trick (Nov 15)
- Sources: Spain's Repsol Hires Tanker For Iran's Pars Oil As Sanctions Loom (Jun 19)
- Total Signs Deal to Extend TFT Gas Field License in Algeria (Jun 11)
Company: INA more info
- Eni, Rockhopper Give Further Details of Croatia License Award (Jan 05)
- Croatian Court to Try MOL Chairman in Absentia (Jun 10)
- INA to Begin Gas Production in Northern Croatia (Jan 14)