Small North Sea Oil Discovery Could Realize Visund North Devt
A small oil discovery has been made by StatoilHydro in the Titan prospect directly east of northern Visund in the Tampen area of the Norwegian North Sea.
Made by exploration wells 34/8-13 A and 34/8-13 S, this strike is estimated to contain 5.6-12.5 million recoverable barrels of oil equivalent. A tie-in to Visund will be assessed. The wells were drilled by the Scarabeo 5 semisub.
"Although it's only a small find, the volumes proven could be very significant for realizing a Visund North development," explained Visund operations head Tom Karsten Gustavsen.
Intended to prove petroleum in the Brent group, the discovery wells were drilled in a structurally complex area.
While 13 A found a small oil column in Upper Jurassic sands, the underlying Brent group proved to be an aquifer. Well 13 S, drilled 2.7 kilometers to the southeast, found oil in the Brent group.
The oil zones in the two wells are likely to be in communication, and both have been subject to extensive data gathering and coring.
"This find is the result of good collaboration between the Visund production team and our exploration specialists," said Tom Dreyer, head of infrastructure-led exploration in the North Sea.
The water depth in the area is 381 meters. Both wells have now been permanently plugged and abandoned.
Operator StatoilHydro has 59.06% of production license 120, where its partners are Petoro with 16.94%, ConocoPhillips 13% and Total E&P Norge 11%.
- Wells 34/8-13 A and 34/8-13 S are the 23rd and 24th exploration wells respectively in PL 120, which was awarded in the 10A licensing round in 1985.
- Well 13 A was drilled to a vertical depth of 3,108 meters below sea level and terminated in the Statfjord formation.
- Well 13 S was drilled to a vertical depth of 3,258 meters below sea level and terminated in the Hegre group.
Operates 12 Offshore Rigs
- Exxon, BP Targeted in NYC Suit That Relies on 'Nuisance' Theory (Jan 10)
- ConocoPhillips Vows Financial Discipline As Aims To Boost Output (Nov 08)
- ConocoPhillips' Profit Beats Estimates, But Budget Cut 10% (Oct 26)
Company: Petoro more info
- Aker Solutions Secures Johan Sverdrup Phase 2 FEED Contract (Mar 21)
- NPD Grants Consent for the Expansion of Nyhamna Gas Plant (Feb 10)
- Statoil Granted North Sea Drilling Permit by NPD (Dec 21)
Company: Saipem more info
Manages 12 Offshore Rigs
- Sanction-Proof Oil Rig Beats US Policy From Cuba to Russia (Dec 19)
- Ifax: Saipem To Conduct Feasibility Study On Rosneft Chemical Plant (Sep 15)
- Saipem to Build Pipelines for Kuwait Refinery Project (Aug 16)
Company: StatoilHydro more info
Operates 34 Offshore Rigs
- Samsung Heavy Industries Lands Statoil FSU Construction Contract (Sep 14)
- First Movers in Eco-Drilling: Going 'Dope'-less (Apr 25)
- StatoilHydro Delays Hammerfest LNG Start Up (Nov 23)
Company: Total E & P Ltd more info
- Petrofac Secures 3-Year North Sea Services Contract Extension (May 19)
- NPD Grants Tullow, Total Drilling Permits Offshore Norway (May 18)
- Total, Wintershall Drill Dry Wells Offshore Norway (Mar 02)